Green Street shooter sentenced to 69 years in prison

Robbie+Patton%2C+18-years-old+at+the+time%2C+appears+on+video+from+the+Department+of+Corrections+during+his+arraignment+at+the+Champaign+County+Courthouse+Friday%2C+Sept.+30%2C+2016.+A+jury+found+Patton+guilty+of+first-degree+murder+and+three+counts+of+aggravated+battery+with+a+firearm+on+Thursday.+

Photo by Aaron Navarro

Robbie Patton, 18-years-old at the time, appears on video from the Department of Corrections during his arraignment at the Champaign County Courthouse Friday, Sept. 30, 2016. A jury found Patton guilty of first-degree murder and three counts of aggravated battery with a firearm on Thursday.

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Last year’s campustown shooter, Robbie Patton, was sentenced to 69 years in prison for the death of one and the wounding of three others. Patton was convicted by a jury in September on the charges of first-degree murder and three counts of aggravated battery with a firearm.

Champaign County Circuit Judge Roger Webber sentenced 20-year-old Patton on Thursday, and he will serve at least 67 and half years of his sentence, due to his 15 months already served in jail.

On Sept. 25, 2016 a fight broke out at an apartment party on the 300 block of East Green Street. Shots were later fired, killing 22-year-old George Korchev and wounding three others who were walking by and uninvolved with the fight. A fifth person was struck by a fleeing car.

Patton had turned himself in Sept. 28 after being announced as the primary suspect of the shooting. At his preliminary court hearing on Oct. 10 he pleaded not guilty.

Champaign Police led the homicide investigation that concluded this September. Champaign Lieutenant David Shaffer said they were pleased with the finalized results of the investigation and sentencing.

“Of course it’s unfortunate that the incident happened at all, and that people were injured, and that Korchev lost his life. But we’re glad to be concluded of the investigation and bring closure to the family,” Shaffer said.

He was facing up to 85 years in prison for first degree murder, as well as an additional 30 years per aggravated battery charge.

Correction: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that three others were killed. They were wounded. The Daily Illini regrets this error.