LIVE: Election watch 2020 — Biden gains edge in presidential race; Champaign gets 1,000 more mail-ins

Ryan Ash

A building worker closes the entrance to the University YMCA polling place at the conclusion of voting on Tuesday.

By The Daily Illini Staff Report

The Daily Illini will be providing live election updates as unofficial results roll in from Champaign County, statewide and nationwide, while organizations like the Associated Press call various races.

Voting locations officially close at 7 p.m. CST in Illinois.

Thursday, 10:00 p.m.

Only four battleground states remain completely uncalled in the presidential race; Nevada, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Georgia. All have more than 89% of the votes tallied, and some races are remarkably close. Biden trails Trump by just 1,902 votes in Georgia with 98% of votes counted. The Associated Press and Fox News have both called Arizona and its 11 electoral votes for Biden.

After picking up wins in Michigan and Wisconsin, former Vice President Joe Biden is either six or 17 electoral votes away from a presidential nomination.

Champaign County has processed another 1,105 mail-in ballots, bringing the total up to 93,598, an all-time county record. Incumbent Coroner Duane Northrup holds a 2,291 vote lead over challenger Chaundra Bishop, and Democrat Mike Ingram holds a 2,549 vote lead for Recorder of Deeds.

The race for circuit clerk is incredibly close, Democrat Susan McGrath leading Republican Katie Blakeman by just 110 votes.

Another 3,000 to 4,000 mail-in votes could be processed within the next 11 days, if postmarked by Election Day.

Wednesday, 2:00 a.m.

Republican Rep. Rodney Davis has won the race for IL District 13, defeating Democratic candidate Betsy Dirksen Londrigan for the second time.

With 599 of 602 precincts reporting, Davis won 55% of the vote. AP declared Davis the winner Tuesday evening, and Londrigan conceded shortly before 2 a.m. on Wednesday.

“I wish we had been able to clear this last hurdle, but I could not be more proud of the campaign we’ve run, the issues we’ve addressed and the effort we’ve put into reaching out to voters,” Londrigan said in a statement. “Democracy is not a spectator sport. It requires each of us to do our part, and that doesn’t stop. Elections come and go. Representatives come and go. The job of the American citizen is constant.”

All of Champaign County’s unofficial results, except one early voting location, have been released by the County Clerk’s Office. According to the unofficial totals, 92,493 people voted in Champaign County, with around 45% voting early, 27% voting by mail and 28% voting on Election Day.

AP has called all but seven states’ presidential picks. The electoral vote total is locked at 238 to 213 in favor of Democrat Joseph R. Biden after a win in Arizona.

Alaska, Georgia, North Carolina, Michigan, Wisconsin, Nevada and Pennsylvania haven’t yet been called. With 20 electoral votes, all eyes are on Pennsylvania as the state begins processing its mailed ballots on Wednesday.

9:45 p.m.

Votes from 22 of 118 Champaign County precincts have rolled in. With two-thirds of votes counted for District 13, incumbent Republican Rep. Rodney Davis holds a 60% to 40% lead over Democrat challenger Betsy Dirksen Londrigan.

8:15 p.m.

AP has called several more states for the presidential candidates. President Trump has won Arkansas, Indiana, Louisiana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming and Nebraska. Joe Biden picked up electoral votes in New York and New Mexico, bringing his total to 119 electoral votes across 11 states, against Trump’s 93 electoral votes and 14 states.

Some votes have rolled in for the Illinois House of Representatives races. In District 13, with just 9% of the vote counted, Betsy Dirksen Londrigan leads incumbent Rodney Davis 56% to 44%, though the race is still too close to call.

7:15 p.m.

Lines at campus voting sites like the Illini Union, ARC and University YMCA are still filled with UI students as sites officially close. Those in line are still able to cast their ballots.

The last of voters wait in line after entrances have closed at the University YMCA polling place on Tuesday night. (Ryan Ash)

Democratic Sen. Dick Durbin has won reelection in Illinois, according to AP.

Several states have been called for the presidential race by AP. Illinois, a reliably blue state, was called for Democrat Joseph R. Biden Jr., along with Virginia, Vermont, Maryland, Massachusetts, Delaware, New Jersey, Connecticut and Rhode Island, amassing 85 electoral votes.

Meanwhile, President Donald Trump has won Kentucky, West Virginia, Alabama, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Mississippi and South Carolina, giving him 55 electoral votes.

Editor’s note: This is an ongoing story. Please stay with The Daily Illini for updates.