Twitter rebrands as “X”

Twitter has officially been rebranded to “X,” as owner of the social media site Elon Musk announced through various Tweets over the past 24 hours.

“X.com now points to twitter.com,” Musk tweeted yesterday afternoon.

The X logo has since been released, and even projected on the side of the social media platform’s headquarters in San Francisco.

The iconic blue bird of Twitter has been replaced online by the X logo. While the original logo can still be spotted in some places (at the top of your computer tab, for example), Musk tweeted that the site will soon be saying goodbye to “all the birds.”

Musk bought Twitter – now X – in October of 2022 for 44 billion dollars, officially becoming the owner and CEO of the social media company. Since doing so, Musk has fired or paid off many of the company’s staff and top executives.

The social media company has experienced many changes under Musk, such as a monthly subscription in order for the blue verification check mark and multiple crashes of the entire website.

Musk stepped down from his CEO position this past May, handing it over to media executive Linda Yaccarino and naming himself the company’s CTO instead.

Yaccarino tweeted yesterday about the impact she hopes X will have on communication.

“It’s an exceptionally rare thing – in life or in business – that you get a second chance to make another big impression,” Yaccarino said in the tweet. “Twitter made one massive impression and changed the way we communicate. Now, X will go further, transforming the global town square.”

Yaccarino has additionally said that “there’s absolutely no limit to this transformation.” 

“X will be the platform that can deliver, well….everything,” Yaccarino tweeted.