ISC candidates give out pizza at KAMS, encourage voting

Lisa Chasanov
ISC presidential ticket Carter Cohen and Viktoriya Dragnevska hand out pizza outside of KAMS’ “KAMRock” pop-up on Tuesday evening.

Illinois Student Council presidential ticket Carter Cohen and Viktoriya Dragnevska gave out free pizza to University students who voted in the ongoing ISC election in front of KAMS Tuesday evening.

Dragnevska, a candidate for vice president, said students could receive a slice of pizza for voting in the election — regardless of their chosen candidates.

“No matter if it’s for us or not, we encourage students to vote,” Dragnevska said. “We don’t tell them explicitly to vote for us. We encourage making their voices heard on important issues on campus and making sure they’re adequately … heard.”

Cohen and Dragnevska are one of four tickets running for ISC executive office. Students can vote until noon on Thursday on the Campus Student Election Commission website

In addition to the student body president and vice president, interested students can also vote for several referenda, a student trustee and representatives of their colleges in the student senate.

Cohen, an ISC presidential candidate, said the initiative was intended to get more students to vote in the election.

“Something a lot of people have in common is going out,” Cohen explained. “It’s a way to get to a lot of the student body.”

Tuesday marked the opening of KAMS’ self-described “St. Patrick’s Day pop up bar,” KAMRock, which will remain open until March 19.

According to Cohen, his team decided to sit outside of KAMS in order to meet students where they were.

“We are here, offering them pizza to vote for whoever they want to and doing something to represent themselves on campus,” Cohen said. “Yeah, that’s where we’re at.”