Classes to resume on Tuesday as planned, UI says

With snowfall and predicted freezing temperatures starting Saturday night, University administration released a Massmail on operational plans for the beginning of the spring semester.

Snow, wind and bitter cold temperatures are predicted for the next several days, and we want you to be aware of this inclement weather as many of you travel back to campus for the semester to begin next week,” the statement said.

According to ABC News, hundreds of flights, predominantly in the Midwest, were canceled on Friday and a grounding stop was issued at OʼHare International Airport on Friday morning due to snow and ice. 

The Peoria Charter, a common mode of transportation between Champaign and the Chicagoland area, has also issued a travel alert. 

The company notes delays or cancellations may occur due to hazardous conditions or road closures. The delays or cancellations will not be known until within a calendar day of the departure time. 

Classes, the administration said in the Mass-mail, are set to begin on Tuesday as planned. Students who walk to class are advised to dress, as extremely low temperatures are expected to linger throughout early next week. 

“We will continue to monitor the weather throughout the weekend, and we will be prepared to reevaluate our operational plans if conditions are significantly worse than predicted,” the Massmail said. “Please check your university email for any updates.”

For those who need warm weather essentials, the Student Assistance Center for Basic Needs can be reached at (217) 333-0050 or [email protected]