Champaign City Council discusses budget increases, Garden Hills Drainage Improvement project

On Tuesday, the Champaign City Council met at 102 N. Neil St. to discuss budget increases for city employees and public works projects, among other things. Most notably, the increased funding will facilitate phase two of the Garden Hills Drainage Improvement project.

The meeting began at 7 p.m. with the Champaign Township Board voting unanimously to pass ordinances increasing the township’s budget. 

An Illinois Department of Human Services grant of $238,500 will provide Strides Shelter with an administrative assistant, professional development and utilities, according to Township Supervisor Andrew Quarnstrom. 

Employees who receive comparable insurance from a spouse or another entity will receive a $200 health insurance waiver, Quarnstrom said. 

Following the town board meeting, Champaign Mayor Deborah Feinen began the city council meeting by calling for the approval of five budget bills. 

The city council unanimously voted to increase the 2022-23 annual budget and the staffing budget for 2023-24. The council also unanimously voted to increase the budget for employees of the Champaign Public Library for the 2023-24 fiscal year.

The most anticipated item was the budget increase for the Garden Hills Drainage Improvement project. Garden Hills has struggled with flooding for the past few years and phase two of the project will build a drainage basin for the neighborhood.

Feinen thanked all those involved with the project.

“I want to thank ARPA funding from the federal government and the county board,” she said. “The hedge park, new facilities and programming will be a great benefit to our community.”