CUPHD named Healthy People 2030 Champion

The Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, named the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District as a Healthy People 2030 Champion.

Healthy People 2030 is the fifth Healthy People initiative, which is a set of 10-year targets created by ODPHP to improve national health and well-being. According to the HHS webpage, Healthy People 2030 objectives include 359 core objectives, along with developmental and research objectives.

Healthy People’s developmental objectives concern high-priority public health issues that are correlated with evidence-based interventions but are not supported by a reliable baseline of data. Research objectives concern public health issues that have a high health or economic burden or considerable discrepancies between different population groups, and are not correlated with evidence-based interventions.

“ODPHP is thrilled to recognize Champaign-Urbana Public Health District for its work to support the Healthy People 2030 vision,” said Paul Reed, director of the ODPHP, in a press release. “Only by collaborating with partners nationwide can we achieve Healthy People 2030’s overarching goals and objectives.”

Other ODPHP programs for public health include the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans and the President’s Council on Sports, Fitness & Nutrition.