Champaign receives perfect score on LGBTQ+ report

In a press release on Tuesday, Champaign announced that it earned the highest score on the Human Rights Campaign’s 2023 Municipal Equality Index. This is the 12th consecutive year that the city has been recognized for its inclusive LGBTQ+ policies and services.

The Municipal Equality Index focuses on how inclusive varying LGBTQ+ laws and policies have been toward the community in participating cities. Champaign received a perfect score for this rating, alongside two other Illinois cities, Rockford and Chicago.

The Municipal Equality Index analyzed 506 cities across America and scored them based on 49 distinct criteria. 

Some of these criteria consisted of the LGBTQ+ community involvement in employment, local public leadership and services aimed at the community, such as youth centers. The average score of the cities assessed this year was 71. 

Kris Koester, LGBTQ+ Liaison for Champaign, said in the press release that “The City of Champaign has been at the forefront of protecting the rights of LGBTQIA+ individuals since 1972 by prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation.”

In the same press release, Champaign Mayor Deborah Feinen also expressed her thoughts on the matter and its impact on the city. 

“Thanks to the leadership of the Champaign City Council … Champaign is proud to be a shining example of how advancing inclusive laws and policies can help ensure everyone feels welcome in our wonderfully diverse city,” Feinen said.