Nikki Budzinski to face Joshua Loyd in November election for 13th Congressional District

Nikki Budzinski, the incumbent Democratic representative for Illinois’ 13th Congressional District, won the democratic nomination on Tuesday. Budzinski will face the Republican nominee Joshua Loyd on election day in November. 

“As the Democratic nominee … I look forward to highlighting the strong record of results I’ve been able to achieve, and the bipartisan approach I’ve taken to get things done for the people I serve,” Budzinski said in a press release. “In the critical election ahead, I hope to earn the support of our voters once again.”

Budzinski began her career working for labor unions, first with the Laborers’ International Union of North America and then the International Association of Fire Fighters and the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union. 

Budzinski was elected in 2022 as the Illinois representative for the 13th District and took office in January of 2023. In 2019, she was appointed senior advisor to Gov. JB Pritzker at the start of his term and resigned in 2020. 

Loyd, a West Point graduate, is from Carbondale, Illinois, and has worked with trades and volunteer organizations. He won against University law student Thomas Clatterbuck in the primary. 

According to his website, some issues Loyd hopes to focus on include agriculture, Second Amendment rights, government spending and defense. 

More information about voting in Illinois can be found here