Memorial Day: What will and won’t be open in CU

The Champaign Public Library, located at 200 W. Green St. in Champaign.

With Memorial Day fast approaching, many public buildings and offices across both Champaign and Urbana have announced changes in their schedules on Monday. 

The Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District will not have travel services on Monday, as Memorial Day is recognized as one of their few official holidays. Buses will run through Sunday evening and begin again Tuesday morning. The Illinois Terminal will remain open for longer distance travel, including Amtrak service.

Further, metered parking will not be enforced both on and off campus in Champaign and Urbana, making it easier to find affordable parking across both cities. This only applies to metered spaces, and permit lots may not have the same exceptions.

Both city offices have also announced closures for Monday. Champaign and Urbana will both see city administrative and business offices closed for the holiday.

Additionally, the public libraries for both cities will also be closed. Both Champaign Public Library locations will be closed on Monday, as well as the Urbana Free Library.

While many public services will be closed in celebration of the holiday, the park districts for both cities will have some openings. Champaign Park District announced on Instagram that both Prairie Farm and Sholem Aquatic Center will remain open on Monday, with all other facilities being closed. 

Urbana Park District has also said that Crystal Lake Park Family Aquatic Center will remain open through Monday.

Many University buildings will also have some adjusted hours for Memorial Day. The Illini Union and Illini Union Rec Room will remain open, though Starbucks, the Quad Shop and all other food services will be closed. The Illini Union Bookstore will remain closed all weekend.

Since Memorial Day is recognized as an official University holiday, many other affiliated buildings will be closed, including Spurlock Museum and Krannert Art Museum

When it comes to private businesses like shops and grocery stores, it can be difficult to determine if their hours will be affected. Many common chain stores such as County Market and Target have not announced closures on Monday, and Aldi announced it will be open until 6 p.m. Market Place Shopping Center will also remain open.

However, many stores and shops in the area are local and family-owned, so they may have specific changes to their schedules for the holiday. In order to check closures, check the respective website or call the business itself.