Illinois State Police issue update on shooting of officer

The Illinois State Police issued an update today about the shooting of ISP Trooper Dakotah Chapman-Green on Oct. 24. 

Chapman-Green pulled over 37-year-old Cristobal Santana at the 1600 block of Toronto Road in Springfield on Oct. 24 at 10:47 p.m. Santana fired at least 10 gunshots, several of which hit Trooper Chapman-Green and struck the officer repeatedly, inflicting facial fractures, a skull fracture and a brain bleed, according to a press release from the ISP.

The ISP press release stated that Santana fled the scene but was taken into police custody at 1:58 a.m. on Oct. 25. Santana was hospitalized for injuries received during his apprehension and remains in the hospital. Trooper Chapman-Green remains hospitalized.

“Police officers across the state take an oath to protect the lives of Illinois citizens and too often that means facing diabolical, hateful, vicious evil that no innocent human being should ever have to face,” said ISP Director Brendan Kelly in a statement.

The Sangamon County State’s Attorney’s Office filed two counts of attempted first-degree murder, one count of aggravated battery with a firearm to a police officer, one count of aggravated battery to a police officer and one count of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon against Santana on Oct. 27.

Video of the incident can be viewed on the ISP Youtube channel. The ISP will share a video of the news conference on their Facebook page.

The ISP continues the investigation into this shooting and will continue to work with the Sangamon County State’s Attorney’s Office to share further information as it becomes available.