Mrs. Kidwell goes to Washington

By Mary Johnson

Self-proclaimed “political dork” and former president of the University’s College Democrats Lauren Kidwell has found her way to Washington, thanks to U.S. Sen. Barrack Obama, D-Ill.

The political science and speech communications 2004 graduate is working as a staff assistant in Obama’s office. Kidwell said she joined the Obama campaign the summer between her junior and senior year at the University. She served as campus coordinator for Students for Obama during the election season.

Kidwell’s work in Washington started when the senator was sworn in on January. Kidwell said as staff assistant, she spends her time talking to Obama’s constituents and doing administrative work.

“(I like) talking to people and listening to concerns of the voters,” she said.

Kidwell said one of the best things about her job is seeing people meet Obama for the first time. She said that many people are very excited to meet the senator, and there are always visitors at the office wanting to take pictures with him.

Kidwell added that the people she is working for and with also make her job rewarding.

“I enjoy working for amazing people like Senator Obama,” she said.

Kidwell’s 2003-2004 term as president of the College Democrats was not the start of her political interest. She said she is not exactly sure where her interest in politics came from, but that it bloomed before college.

“My parents have always encouraged my brother and me to be interested in current affairs,” Kidwell said.

Kidwell credits the University as where she really got involved in local government. She said her liberal arts background made her well rounded. Although no specific course could prepare her for what she is doing now, she said her political science degree gave her a good idea of how government works.

Her experience with College Democrats also helped prepare her to work as Obama’s staff assistant. She said working with College Democrats gave her experience at the “hands-on level of politics.”

Sarah Pittenger, sophomore in LAS and treasurer of College Democrats, said Kidwell was a committed member who was dedicated to her task and found ways to make everyone feel welcome to the group.

“As a freshman on executive board, I always found her very inclusive,” Pittenger said. “She helped me get acclimated to the group.”

As the campus coordinator for Students for Obama, Kidwell said the statewide position gave her the responsibility of finding Students for Obama representatives on other campuses and organizing events for him.

“She certainly had a desire to follow through with Obama’s campaign,” Pittenger said. “She was working for him even before the Democratic primaries.”

The Charleston, Ill., native is now living close to the capital city in Bethesda, Md. She said one of her biggest challenges was simply getting around Washington.

“(The most difficult part was) finding my way around the maze of buildings around here,” Kidwell said.

With Kidwell’s political passion and love for Washington, some might think a future as an elected official is in her stars, but the 22-year-old said she has not thought that far ahead and is happy where she is right now.

Kidwell’s political experience is not confined to her job with Obama. She said she enjoys living in Washington because of its political pulse.

“I love living in the big city,” Kidwell said. “It’s a political town, and I’m a political person. I enjoy history and enjoy working in such a political place and seeing senators walking down the hall … It’s really cool for a political dork like me.”