Suburban Express notes Canada in Valentine’s Day promotion

Photo of the Suburban Express Illini Shuttle on Jan. 15.

Kenyon Edmond

Kenyon Edmond

By Jessica Bursztynsky, News Editor

Transit company Suburban Express emailed its customers a Valentine’s Day promotion Saturday morning, taking aim at Canada.

Under “The Suburban Express Experience,” the email said, “You won’t feel like you’re in Canada when you ride our buses.”

The email comes two months after the company’s initial Dec. 2 email scandal, when it listed, “You won’t feel like you’re in China when you’re on our buses” as a self-identified perk.

The email was referring to the University’s high international student enrollment. In a follow-up apology later that day, Suburban Express criticized how the University handles enrollment, particularly among Asian students.

The company is currently under investigation by the Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan over potential civil rights violations under the Illinois Human Rights Act.

About the Writer
Jessica Bursztynsky, News Editor

I am a journalism student focusing on news-editorial writing with a minor in politicalsScience. I transferred into the University in fall 2016 from a community college and began working as a news reporter at The Daily Illini. After spending time as a reporter, I was chosen as the News Editor for the 2017–2018 term. If I’m not working on a story, I’m usually alternating between episodes of The Office and Parks and Recreation, eating breakfast foods or convincing myself to go on a run.

1 Comment