OPinion column: D.C. Rock City

Illustration Illustration

Illustration Illustration

By Eric Naing

When you need someone to tell you who to vote for, there is no better source than the myriad whiny, neo-punk bands currently taking the United States by storm. Forget respectable news sources; I derive my political opinions from the tortured lyrics of Canadian pop-punk group Sum 41. Of course, it’s not just punk rockers who are taking their massive egos for a dip in the shallow ocean that is politics – rappers and country-music superstars are throwing their two cents in as well. In a political season where voter turnout could decide the election, the opinions of P. Diddy on health insurance have suddenly become important.

Musicians are out in full force, though not so much in support of Sen. John Kerry as against Bush (the president, not the euphemism). The albums, Rock Against Bush Volumes 1 and 2, feature politically charged tracks from various rock and punk artists, from the Foo Fighters to the aforementioned Sum 41. Not to be outdone by a bunch of young punks, rock legend Bruce Springsteen has announced his intention to tour battleground states with other established rock acts like R.E.M. and Dave Matthews.

While most of these musicians are either anti-Bush, pro-Kerry or nonpartisan, President Bush has his own stable of musicians set to woo voters come November. Aside from conservative country music mainstays like Toby Keith, Bush also can rely on Gene Simmons, bassist and singer for the most overrated band on the face of the earth, KISS, who endorsed the president in a recent interview. Also, in a stunning revelation, ultra right-wing rocker and “Cat Scratch Fever” singer Ted Nugent is once again endorsing the president. Probably least surprising is Jessica Simpson, a singer not known for her massive IQ, who is said to be a big fan of Bush (pun very much intended).

Both the Democrats and Republicans claim to be doing their best to court the youth vote, but their efforts have been far from effective. If California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has taught us anything, it’s that young voters love celebrities, and just because a person happens to be famous doesn’t mean he or she shouldn’t care about our government. These musicians have the potential to make voting hip. If “The Boss” and Dave Matthews can vote for Kerry, then frat guys nationwide may feel as if they can vote for Kerry without having to question their sexuality. Similarly, if voting for Bush is good enough for Toby Keith, then it must be good enough for the average 19-year-old country music fan.

Musicians have an ability to reach people that normally couldn’t care less about politics. An average 21-year-old is far more likely to attend a concert than watch MSNBC. So if NOFX wants to deliver a political message along with their terrible music, I say more power to them. The established media often dismisses any political commentary that is not their own, but honestly, are they any more trustworthy than celebrities? Are they any different?

I, for one, trust Bruce Springsteen’s opinions on tax cuts just as much as I trust Larry King’s. Both men are multi-millionaires who consistently express their opinions to their audiences. The only difference is Bruce does it by writing music and Larry does it by lobbing softball questions at politicians. At the end of the day, both musicians and news organizations have to answer to their corporate overlords. Someone who only watches CNN is not getting the whole story, just as someone who only attends Bruce Springsteen concerts is not either.

Almost everyone agrees this is the most important election in a long time, and while we may disagree with the opinions of these musicians, one still has to appreciate their efforts to make voting somewhat cool.

And for those of you still wondering how Puffy would reform our health care system, I have three words for you: diamond-encrusted iPods.

Eric Naing is a junior in LAS. His column runs Wednesdays. He can be reached at [email protected].