Letter: Time to heal

By The Daily Illini

I have heard a lot of “I am ashamed to be an American” and “a new Dark Age begins” today. I find this to be utterly reprehensible. I, for one, am proud to be an American. I am proud that I was given an opportunity by the Founding Fathers to cast my vote and decide whether I wanted four more years or a change. I am proud that so many Americans came out to make the same decision. Regardless of the outcome, the people have spoken. Fundamentally, that’s what makes this the greatest country in the world.

You can use your freedom of speech and spit in the face of every man and woman who fought for that freedom. This country is great because we are different. This country is great because “We, the people” decide our leaders. This country is great because when the dust settles, true Americans will come together in the end as we did following Sept. 11, 2001. There were no Democrats or Republicans, only U.S. citizen.

I am proud to be a U.S. citizen. And for those of you who are ashamed, you merely evince a whiny, selfish, “I’m taking my ball and going home” attitude. The people of the United States of America have decided, and in the words of Sen. John Kerry, “It is time to heal.”

Alexander M. Hajduk

sophomore in LAS