UI begins new one-day program for orientation

By Alyssa Etier

Every summer new students visit the University of Illinois for an orientation and registration program. In the past, students spent two days on campus, but this year orientation coordinators changed the program to a four-component series, with a one-day visit to campus that focuses on registering for classes.

“Parents that had come for orientation before appreciate that they come for one day now; it was difficult with work and having to stay overnight,” said Rhonda Kirts, assistant dean of students.

The campus visit is the summer component of the orientation process. Students and their parents attend a presentation by their chosen college and attend three special interest presentations, which include financial aid, campus safety, student health services, university and private housing, and minority affairs. Students and parents also have the opportunity to take a campus tour and have questions answered by one of the 25 student leaders that help with the various activities. However, the majority of the program concentrates on registration.

“Some people are overwhelmed with only one day to do all of this,” said Katie Rios, a senior in education and an orientation student coordinator. “But if they do the homework before on IStart, those students are fine.”

IStart is part of the new orientation program. During the spring, the incoming freshmen could use the online tutorial to learn about registration, offered classes, and college requirements. Students fill out an online form, which helps them make selections according to their interests and academic scores. The program prepares students and academic advisors for registration prior to orientation.

“We seem much more informed this time,” said Giacomina Francik, a mother of a senior and an incoming freshman. “There are more postcards with information, and packets explaining what we should expect. It has been helpful.”

The shorter campus visit allows students to concentrate on their registration, but cuts out other aspects of previous orientations. In the past, students were put into small groups that were led by student leaders. Some student leaders miss this small group interaction, but have had other opportunities to work individually with students during college meetings and registration.

The one-day visit also means that students do not spend a night in the dorms. During previous summer orientations, students would be assigned a roommate and a room in Illinois Street Residence Hall, giving students a chance to see the dorms and meet others.

“Feelings are about half and half,” said Rios. “Some love the experience of staying overnight and getting a taste of the dorms, while others did not like having to move in for one night.”

Since the new campus visit focuses on registration, additional programming was moved to the fall. Students will move into their dorms on Saturday, Aug. 20, instead of the usual Sunday move-in. They will attend presentations on things such as safety and campus involvement, learn about volunteer opportunities, and see showcases on Krannert and the Spurlock Museum. The administration hopes the presentations will be more effective once students have moved onto campus.

“It is hard for the students to remember things from early June and July when they return in late August,” Kirts said.

The final component of the new orientation will be a University 101 course. The format will vary between colleges, but will help students with career exploration, library use, study skills, academic integrity and diversity.

With the new program only being in the early stages of the summer registration, orientation coordinators are still gathering and analyzing evaluations. In the fall, they will have focus groups with students to get feedback on the campus visit and orientation process. Kirts said that at this point they are not aware of any problems with the new program.

“Students have said they already knew everything they heard at the campus visit,” said Kirts. “We want them to say that because of the online program.”