State election board splits vote on party lines

By Daily Illini Staff

Socialist Equality Party candidate Joe Parnarauskis already faces an uphill battle in the race for the 52nd District of the State Senate. Not only is the name of his party, at first glance, unappealing to many of Central Illinois’ residents, he must work against the American political system, which is inherently stacked against those who threaten the order and stability of the two-party system.

But recent challenges to Parnarauskis’ eligibility on the November ballot have gone beyond the two-party system into the realms of bitter partisanship and a win-at-all costs mentality.

Parnarauskis, a University alumnus, has been fighting for a spot on the ballot ever since 44 of his petition sheets were called into question by the Democrats based on an inane technicality. The issue recently went before the State Board of Elections. First an official of the board, called the hearing examiner, examined the documents and made his recommendation – that Parnarauskis should be allowed on the ballot. When the issue went in front of the entire board, which is composed of four Republicans and four Democrats, an unprecedented but predictable decision was made; the board split on party lines.

This comes as no surprise; the Democrats had been vocally against the candidate, and the Republicans had been vocally for him. The challenge to Parnarauskis’ eligibility, and all the following politicking, has all been about votes. The Democrats are worried that Parnarauskis will take votes from their candidate, Mike Frerichs, and diminish their chances of taking a seat that had been held by Republican State Sen. Rick Winkel. The Republicans see Parnarauskis as an insurance policy; somebody that they can play up, who can never get enough votes to win, but can take away enough votes from the Democrats to ensure a victory for Judy Myers, their candidate for the seat.

Although it now appears that Parnarauskis will be on the ballot come November, the ridiculous circumstances of this political circus puts into question the validity of the State Board of Election as an impartial party. There is no longer any doubt that it serves as nothing but a pawn of the two-party system, continuing to create an illusion of fair and competitive elections. If this is how they treat a simple ballot challenge, our faith in them to handle the election wanes.

This conflict is yet another example of Illinois politics at its worst, as well as a microcosm of the decay in the democratic process in this nation as a whole. Our political parties have devolved even further as self-serving institutions.