EDITORIAL: Tuition raise needed to keep professors

By Daily Illini Editorial Board

The University, which has been underfunded for the past five years, recently began upping pressure on the state to increase the amount of money it contributes to its flagship institution. Realistically, though, the state is not going to step up and provide the level of funding needed. Inevitably, the call for more funds will translate into higher tuition for students.

The demand for more money stems from a growing problem in the University concerning professor retention. There has been a trend of novice professors refining their skills at the University, and then later, when they are offered more money from other universities, moving on.

For some professors, the University is a sort of stepping stone to a position at a more prestigious establishment. The net effect of this trend is that we are constantly losing valuable professors, which directly decreases the value of the University’s education. In addition, this trend is directly in opposition with the strategic plan, which aims to craft the University into the nation’s premiere research university.

The increased funding from our tuition dollars would go toward a number of measures aimed at retaining valuable professors. For example, the salaries of valuable professors would be increased, and more lucrative pay packages that are designed to reward faithfulness would be offered to up-and-coming professors. These steps are necessary to maintain the quality of the education offered by the University and to maintain the value of our degrees.

The unfortunate consequence, however, is that the tuition of students is likely to increase. Although this University is a public, land-grant institution that relies on state funding, Illinois legislature has proven unwilling to give this school the money it needs to survive.

And with rising tuition, the affordability of the University education would be compromised. If students no longer see this school as an economically viable option and go elsewhere, the University will no longer be able to rely on tuition dollars.

For now, to save our professors and our University, there is no other alternative other than raising tuition. The students will have to deal with the consequences, but it is crucial that this trend of relying on tuition increases whenever there is a problem with funding does not continue.

The University must create new sources of revenue and press the state harder than ever to increase funding. If the total reliance on students to foot the bill for improvements continues, the University’s reputation as an affordable institution will be compromised.