Media should remember victims, not killer

One week has passed since Seung-Hui Cho murdered 32 innocent people on a obviously calculated rampage at Virginia Tech. That terrible morning has been relived countless times thanks to the Internet and the 24-hour news cycle. However, the network media coverage has been inappropriately centered on the killer, when the victims are the ones that are truly deserving of the public’s attention and memory. Their personal stories have become secondary to the constant sight of crazed, senseless images of Cho’s face and videos of his blatantly delusional ramblings.

It has been revealed that the killer sent a morbidly detailed press package to NBC News in between the two shootings, which included an 1800-word manifesto and various video clips and photographs.

NBC’s decision to air some of these materials was inappropriate considering how disturbing each of the selected clips is. Better judgment should have been used, especially considering that the images that have been aired cannot possibly be used for a greater understanding of this seriously disturbed individual or the havoc he wrought. What has happened this week has only helped to immortalize this murderer.

It is apparent that most news organizations did not properly weigh what harm could be caused by airing the killer’s rants against what good could possibly come from it. It is appalling that news stations were willing to become the killer’s mouthpiece so soon after the tragedy, considering that there was almost no time given for recovery to those deeply affected. The only thing that has been gained from this sensationalism is higher ratings. Blindly speculating about the material does nothing to foster understanding; it only prolongs the story and the pain felt by the victims’ families and the Virginia Tech community.

By consistently showing these videos, Cho’s stated wish to achieve notoriety has been granted, setting a horrible precedent for copycat killers proficient with a video camera. This situation has proven that airtime can not only be bought with money, but with blood as well.

However, since its newsworthiness is a matter of interpretation, the decision to view this disturbing material should be left to individuals. Given the enormous reach of the Internet, it is not unreasonable to expect major media organizations to use their airwaves with more caution than they initially displayed here. Fulfilling a murderer’s dying wish is not a worthy use of resources.

The media should now be doing all it can to see that the victims of the tragedy are remembered and memorialized because, unlike their killer, they deserve to be.