Quad Day should be green as the grass

By Daily Illini Editorial Board

Barring inclement weather, today’s Quad Day should be eventful. In fact, there’s a good chance you are reading this because you have just been handed a copy of today’s edition by a staffer. But besides the normal concerns surrounding the event, it occurs to us that the event isn’t very environmentally friendly.

Last semester’s student elections saw the passage of the new $5 campus sustainability fee that is supposed to help our campus become more green. Then, it seemed like this University’s commitment to the environment was strong. But the beginning of the year is the time to examine campus events to see how they can be changed.

Most Registered Student Organizations attract attention to themselves by distributing massive amounts of paper flyers. While they are varied, most try to cram as much information onto each sheet of paper as possible.

Unfortunately, many students, overwhelmed by the sheer amount of informational materials they receive, simply ignore them. The result is that most of them are discarded. The whole process just invites wasted paper.

RSOs should conserve paper by downsizing their materials. Instead of whole sheets of paper full of text that many will never read, focus on producing smaller pieces with the bare essentials, including Web and e-mail addresses.

Additionally, and if financially possible, come up with creative ways to advertise, like key chains, Frisbees, or office supplies. Chances are good that your RSO will be remembered if it provided a pencil to a person who forgot to bring one to a test.

The best way to be kind to the environment and increase membership is to develop a healthy e-mail list. Any business major going into sales will tell you that the follow-up to the initial contact is crucial.

While there are no specific environmental policies related to RSOs and Quad Day, we would encourage student government and the Office of Registered Student Organizations to look at ways next year’s event could be improved.

For example, there could be recycling stations at major exit points that could cut down on the amount of garbage. And at the end of the day, instead of dragging home a ream of paper materials, students will only be taking what truly interests them.

This University should not make the mistake of thinking the road to a greener campus involves only new technologies and renovations. Creative and old-fashioned means of making what we have go further will eventually take all of us a long way.