Letter to the Editor | President Trump threatens American stability

By Rudolph W. Fillinger

We currently face a multitude of crises: a worldwide pandemic not seen in a century, an economic collapse that may rival the Great Depression and a world in which American leadership is absent while our allies question our commitment to the defense of freedom throughout the free world.

We currently are a deeply divided nation. Sectionalism throughout the country and factionalism within the government have exposed the failings of our political system.

President Trump and his ardent supporters are a clear and constant danger to our constitution, to the rule of law, our freedoms and even to our way of life.

We must defeat Donald Trump and Trumpism in order to heal the nation’s wounds, provide opportunities to all Americans, provide a bright future for our children and to restore our reputation as the leader of the free world. We’ve lived through three years of the corrupt and incompetent “leadership” of Donald Trump. This country cannot afford to be ripped apart for the profit of Donald Trump and his family and friends.

Today, democracies do not die due to revolution or military coup, but by gradual and insidious attacks on important institutions such as the judiciary and the free press.

We need a president with integrity, a worldwide view shaped by decades of distinguished public service and a heart filled with empathy and decency. We need Joe Biden! As a patriotic American, I vehemently urge everyone to vote for Joe Biden and other Democratic candidates this November. Help restore honesty, integrity and decency in government.

God bless our first responders, the doctors, nurses, grocery workers, truck drivers and every American.

Rudolph is an alumnus from the Class of 1976.