Opinion | Langley’s end of the line: A grateful goodbye as editor

By Nathaniel Langley, Opinions Editor

Nothing changes you like being the opinions editor. Promoting spectacular voices within the section, collaborating with a phenomenal editorial team and reinventing what the section could be, I leave my term as editor feeling grateful and ecstatically bittersweet.

Opinions is an adventure. On this opinionated journey, I’ve not only learned about life but also about myself. I’m not the same person I was when I began this expedition. The confidence you receive from leading and learning from a wonderful team of writers and fellow editors is an unparalleled sensation.

Before joining The Daily Illini, the thought of being a columnist alone was daunting — becoming an editor was absolutely inconceivable at the time. How could anyone regularly write an opinion and not sound annoying? Fortunately, my mom was there to humble and remind me to write like a “human,” not an uptight columnist “like those other ones do.”

From there, I took my mom’s advice and wrote every column as though I was explaining it to my mom. If it was about the filibuster, I’d picture myself walking around our kitchen back home and explaining to my mom why it makes Congress actually work. If I wanted to illustrate how Dogecoin was (and remains) a pyramid scheme, I’d imagine myself describing cryptocurrency and how it preyed on the lower class while sitting on our couch.

My primary audience expanded once I became editor last spring. Instead of considering how to clarify everything for my mom, I had a staff and extensive audience to refine and share opinions with. It was a responsibility that energized and frightened me every second the first few weeks.

From March 2021 on, I had a team I couldn’t let down. As I step away today from the editorial team and return to writing for our wonderful section, I stand proud of what we’ve accomplished and where opinions can innovate next.

Although the section is relatively straightforward, my objective for opinions was to expand and innovate upon its simplicity. I couldn’t wait to revamp and reform what opinions could be. 

First, my energy was directed towards alleviating opinions’ “opinion” problem.

Today, the last thing people want is another person’s opinion. However, listening to others is a crucial skill to expand and understand one’s world. “Perspectives,” a fresh category to opinions, was created to provide writers a space to explain how they arrived at or why they hold their opinion.

A creative outlet to reason with readers, tremendous perspectives have been shared including the Ukrainian Student Association’s reaction to Russia’s aggression, and countless “DI Voices” — DI writers’ perspectives. These DI Voices have shown the power of a childhood minivan, reflected on one’s trailblazing mom and allowed me to share my lessons on long-distance relationships.

Innovation at opinions continued past perspectives. During my term, the return of “Campus Scout” has been a joyous occasion. A DI tradition for more than 110 years, I was thrilled to “welcome back” a seasoned journalist who not only traveled across the country last summer but brought to light crucial matters such as heating the campus by opening the steam pipes and Champaign’s mayor awarding engine revvers.

Scout’s return is an electric time for the campus community, and I speak for all of us in giving my gratitude for Scout sharing his critical — “definitely not” biased or comic — work.

Opinions continued as well with the introduction of “Talk of the Town” and its expansion into videos and community interviews. In addition to my own “DI on the Street” videos, teaching and seeing columnists uncover campus opinions has been amazing and I can’t wait for future exchanges.

It’s a rare opportunity for an opinions section to have numerous incredible writers, let alone those who go out of their way to interview. Consequently, I’m immensely grateful to have led a team of motivated and innovative writers who taught me more than I could ever teach them. For the rest of my life, my ears will perk at the slight mention of “opinions” or “perspectives,” and I’ll grin knowing I worked with a remarkable group.

None of this is possible without a perfect editorial environment. From our first anxious moments in the office, I felt a special connection to my coworkers. Our level of collaboration and innovation this past year has been incredible and unprecedented.

This is a team I can happily call friends for life. The laughs we shared have sparked more than enough happiness for a lifetime. These are trailblazers who would wake up early every Sunday to produce and innovate a newspaper.

Not every Sunday was easy, nor was the job itself a cakewalk. However, these editors of today, leaders of tomorrow, inspire me and fill my heart. Thank you for every perfect day.

Thank you as well to our phenomenal readers. This job wouldn’t exist without your dedication and support, and I’m fortunate you returned daily to witness our latest wonders. At opinions and the DI, we strive to share quality. With your commitment, I hope we provided this excellence to you consistently throughout a tumultuous pandemic and transformative time in our lives.

Now, the section and editorial team transition to fresh leadership. As I return to writing, I happily await the latest advancements from a fantastic crew. Opinions is in exceptional hands, and I applaud Aparna Lakkaraju, our incoming opinions editor, and will continue to cheer the section and paper on.

From the first anxious moments in the office to the closing goodbyes, thank you everyone for this perfect job. Each one of you made this a beautiful experience; I’m forever grateful.

Nathaniel is a junior in LAS.