Letter to the Editor | Champaign’s commitment to LGBTQ+ inclusivity is commendable

To the Editor, 

I am writing to express my appreciation for the recent article, “Champaign receives perfect score on LGBTQ+ report,” by Ashwin Padamanabhan, published on Nov. 15. It is reassuring to learn that Champaign has once again received the highest score on the Human Rights Campaign’s 2023 Municipal Equality Index for its commitment to LGBTQ+ inclusivity.

In a time where LGBTQ+ inclusivity is more vital than ever, to see the city leading a path that promotes equality and belonging is promising. I applaud Champaign for its 12th consecutive year of recognition. As a queer graduate student, Champaign’s inclusive policies make a significant impact on my academic and personal journey.

I extend my gratitude to the Champaign City Council and Mayor Deborah Feinen for their leadership in contributing to the city’s success. I also want to recognize Uniting Pride of Champaign County for its valuable contribution to our community. Nicole Frydman, the director of operations, recently had a discussion in one of my courses that highlighted the organization’s impact on LGBTQ+ individuals within the Champaign-Urbana area.

Their efforts in education, in particular offering LGBTQ+ cultural competency training, have played a crucial role in furthering community support. Because knowledge is power, bringing awareness to LGBTQ+ topics within the work setting is critical. As a future social worker, I have a responsibility to engage in evolving education about diverse perspectives and experiences, and Uniting Pride is doing just that for the LGBTQ+ community.

Thank you for bringing attention to this uplifting news!

Want to send a letter to The Daily Illini? Submit a letter through this form. Note that we reserve the right to edit for AP style formatting or reject any contributions.