So long, suckers!

A goodbye letter from Lisa Chasanov, Managing Editor for Reporting
Isaac Pinkus
Lisa Chasanov, Jacob Slabosz and Lika Lezhava present at an Illini Media Company recruitment night on Jan. 23.

To whom it may concern,

The year was 1871. Our beloved institution, then known as Illinois Industrial University, founded its very own newspaper, dubbed The Student at the time.

Thus, The Daily Illini was born; and since its inception, the newspaper has worked tirelessly to inform, entertain, inspire and sometimes infuriate the Champaign-Urbana community. A force to be reckoned with, the newspaper has survived tribulations to no end. Over the decades, The DI has taken on several titles, occupied countless buildings and surmounted each challenge that dared cross its path — all while serving its community however it could.

Today, I am mere hours from stepping down as managing editor for reporting and weeks from moving out of my college house. As I reflect upon my time at the University and my term as managing editor, I am overcome with gratitude for the past, anxiety for the present and headstrong optimism for the future.

Since September of 2023, I have overseen a team of five editors, nine assistant editors and over 100 reporters as we produced written content — both in print and online — for the C-U community.

To say we haven’t had our disagreements or overcome hurdles as a team would be misleading — of course, we have.

Through everything, however, we have built a sense of mutual respect and friendship that has helped me to grow in unexpected ways. One day, I hope everyone has the opportunity to work with a group as dedicated and impactful as the one I have had the fortune to know at The DI. 

You may wonder, dear reader, whether our continued existence as a print media outlet signifies a lack of self-awareness. Have we refused to acknowledge the reality that, in our time, the vast majority of youth consume their news through vertical short-form videos?

Although I understand your concern, I don’t think so.

It would be irresponsible to enter this discussion without first acknowledging that print media is presently enduring a pivotal time. Indeed, times irrefutably no longer call for the same kind of media outlets that we followed almost two centuries ago.

Our last daily edition hit newsstands years ago, and this year we made the momentous shift to printing monthly. While some would interpret this as a loss for print media, I have personally seen my team and its work flourish. 

The newspaper’s mission of pursuing truth still fuels all that we do, even if our operation has become unrecognizable since the 19th century. The switch from broadsheet print to TikTok and podcasts has been a completely new one for our troops. Nevertheless, after working with my youthful, passionate and resilient editorial staff, I believe The DI will emerge from the other side stronger than before. 

Editors and reporters, thank you for taking this change in stride. I endlessly appreciate your work in bringing thoughtful, interesting and visually appealing themed editions to the stands each month. C-U, thank you for picking up our papers — even if it was just to do the puzzles.

As I leave my post behind, I want to give my word that this paper will remain in capable hands. It has been my honor to have held a small part in The DI’s enduring legacy, and it is my honor to now pass the torch. 

For those of you who remain at The Daily Illini and at the University, I hope that you will remain inquisitive, seek out the truth in everything and remain open to new ways of doing very old things. 

I will leave you with one sentiment. 

Throughout my college years, I have encountered numerous situations wherein the odds seemed to be stacked against me. Many challenges — academic, professional and personal — have seemed insurmountable. Whether or not success is actually out of reach, feelings of self-doubt can be overwhelming.

If you feel this way in any of your pursuits, I implore you to think of the goobers who continue to spend their evenings and weekends in the YMCA basement, hoping to deliver Gen Z a physical newspaper against all odds. If that isn’t inspiring, I don’t know what is.

Best,

Lisa Chasanov

Managing Editor for Reporting, 2023-24