Music venues in Chambana

Wenyuan Chen

Sammy Adams performs at the Canopy Club at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign on Monday, April 25th, 2016.

By Aaron Navarro, Assistant daytime editor

Going to concerts or shows can be one of the best things you can do with friends. A great show can be a mix of good vibes, beautiful performances and of course: a great venue.

Canopy Club

Address: 708 S Goodwin Ave, Urbana, IL

Location: Right down the street from the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, Canopy is also across the street from, Evans Residence Hall and just a walk away from Allen Hall and LAR.

Am I old enough: If you’re 18+, you’re good.

More days during the week than not, you’ll find a good-sized crowd flocking to the Canopy Club. It makes sense, the venue’s schedule is packed with events and concerts. Last semester alone, big names such as R&B artist Jeremih and EDM producer Carnage played the Urbana stage. Canopy also serves drinks and food in case you’re trying to add to your concert experience. Tickets vary from artist to artist and can be bought online or sometimes at Manolo’s Pizza and Empanadas right around the corner.

The Accord

Address: 51 East Main St Champaign, IL

Location: Being in downtown Champaign, probably not. Though you can take a 100 North Yellow or 120 West Blue bus to get there.

Am I old enough: Like other campus bars, you do have to be 19 and older to get in.

Formerly known as the Highdive, this downtown Champaign venue has its good share of big names as well as playing home to many local acts. The Accord not only does music but can also host drama performances and stand-up comedians.

Music wise, acts such as St. Vincent and Twin Peaks have played here. Comedy wise, actor Creed Bratton (known for his role as “Creed” from “The Office”) performed an evening of music and comedy in January.

Krannert Center for the Performing Arts

Address: 500 S Goodwin Ave, Urbana, IL 61801

Location: Krannert is a block away from the quad and across the street from the ISR dorms.

Am I old enough: Varies from event to event, usually all ages.

Music, theater and dance come together at this Urbana venue. Mostly known for its more symphonic acts such as the Chicago Symphony Orchestra (performing Sept. 24), the center is also home to the biennial Ellanora Guitar Festival.

Pygmalion Festival (Sept. 16–24)

Address: Varies, in the past, concerts were held at The Accord or vegetarian restaurant The Red Herring.

Okay, but is it near where I live: Varies, but probably. Pygmalion does a good job of balancing downtown Champaign and on-campus venues.

Am I old enough: The festival itself is all ages, though if a concert is at a venue such as The Accord, it is 19+.

Not so much of an actual venue, Pygmalion is an independent arts festival that comes down to the Champaign-Urbana area every fall since 2005. Artists play at various spots in the area, ranging from The Accord to the Krannert Center for Performing Arts to vegetarian restaurant The Red Herring. Festival artists in the past range from Diplo (2013) to American Football (2014). This year’s headliners include EDM-outfit Louis the Child and critically acclaimed rapper Vince Staples. If the music isn’t enough to reel you in, Pygmalion also celebrates arts, tech and literature through other separate events and festivals. They just added food this year too, yum.

State Farm Center

Address: 1800 S 1st St, Champaign, IL

Is it near where I live: If you live within a section of Memorial Stadium, then you’re good. If not, the State Farm Center is only a quick walk away from the Ikenberry Residence Hall area.

Am I old enough: It varies, but most concerts are all ages.

Did you know the late great Prince came down to Champaign in 2004? Prince! That’s the type of huge names you’ll find playing at the State Farm Center. The stadium was renovated last season and will be home to concert venues again. Pop group Pentatonix is next up on Oct. 29.

Foellinger Auditorium

Address: 709 S Mathews Ave, Urbana, IL

Is it near where I live: Right on the Quad, it is a good middle point for most residence halls.

Mostly known for: being a huge lecture hall. On occasion, you will see a performance on the Foellinger stage. Star Course is a student RSO that has brought names such as indie-folk artist Father John Misty and rap duo Rae Sremmurd to come through the lecture hall doors. It’s a strange thought of a venue, but its sheer size and architecture make it a one-of-a-kind. That and the fact that you can sit in a desk while watching something like Rae Sremmurd, which is quite an experience of its own.

Aaron is a sophomore in Media