Students enter the PAR dining hall for a late night meal on May 1, 2018.

Use these tips, tricks when visiting UI dining halls

By Andrew Prozorovsky, Opinions Editor August 19, 2020

College is the first time an incoming student will be completely responsible for his or herself, no longer under the supervision of his or her parents or guardians.  Many students, spending at least...

A group of international students enjoys bubble tea on Oct. 19, 2019.

Pandemic creates challenges to navigating social life

By Jared Ebanks, Assistant Features Editor August 19, 2020

Home to a vibrant and social campus environment, the University offers numerous opportunities for students to immerse themselves in a true social college experience. While students are attracted to the...

Students walk across the Main Quad between class periods on Feb. 22, 2018.

UI’s declassified school explorer guide: Visit here before you graduate

By Meghan Lyons, Special Sections Editor August 5, 2020

The first time I stepped foot onto campus, I was taken aback at the size of our school. I’ve stayed in the same hometown my whole life. To me, Champaign was a whole new world — one that was wildly...

Students pose with their artwork after the Paint and Sip for the Culture event hosted during the 2019-2020 school year.

Organizations, resources to welcome incoming Black students

By Jared Ebanks, Assistant Features Editor August 5, 2020

We all have spaces surrounded by peers that make us feel safe. We feel heard in these spaces and can share experiences with others who will relate to our stories the most. In a society where racial tensions...

Students study in the College of Law Library on Sept. 20, 2019. There a multitude of study spaces, libraries and more, available in every corner of campus.

Five spaces on campus provide popular study environments

By Jackson Janes, Assistant Sports Editor August 5, 2020

The University offers tons of resources for studying, with over 20 libraries available to students. Here are my reviews for five of the most visited study spaces on campus. Most Overrated: Undergraduate...

Don't be afraid to branch out

Don’t be afraid to branch out

By Luis Velazquez, Assistant News Editor August 5, 2020

Entering a new environment can be overwhelming for people ⁠— a new chapter filled with strangers and possible obstacles that will come up along the way. If you know a couple of people who will be attending...

A student takes an egg roll from the Busey-Evans buffet on Oct. 27, 2019. The dining hall at Busey-Evans is one of the many options for eating delicious food on campus.

UI campus offers delicious dining options

By Carson Gourdie, Assistant Sports Editor August 5, 2020

Fall is just around the corner, which means one thing: a hard goodbye—puor maybe a welcomed one—to home-cooked meals. While not getting to have Mom or Dad’s homemade chili every Friday might take...

An I-Guide helps a student moving into a dorm in the Ikenberry Commons move their things from a car to a cart on Aug. 22, 2013.

No one tells you about packing these items

By Elizabeth Sayasane, Features Editor August 5, 2020

Searching the internet for “college packing lists” will return thousands of similar results.  They include bed sheets, a laptop, phone chargers, a speaker, cleaning supplies, a first aid kit and several...

A buddha statue stands on a table of Amara and Arts Yoga Studio located in Urbana on Jan. 22.

Live a zen lifestyle in college

By Jillian Little, Buzz Editor August 5, 2020

College is a different experience than most are accustomed to. It can be difficult balancing both classwork and finding a social belonging on top of dealing with generalized anxiety and depressive disorders,...

Crowds gather on the main quad to enjoy the weather during Mom's Weekend on April 6, 2019.

Bust common first-year college myths

By Heather Robinson, Assistant Daytime News Editor August 5, 2020

From the moment most high school graduates walk the stage at commencement, they can’t wait to go to college. Most incoming freshmen have some sort of idea as to what college life looks like, whether...

Students and representatives for Registered Student Organizations mingle on Quad Day on Aug. 26, 2019.

Additional obstacles will hinder campus adjustment

By Andrew Prozorovsky, Opinions Editor August 5, 2020

As a freshman — a small and naive tadpole in a large ocean — making choices on classes and extracurricular involvement is difficult enough during a normal year.  Now, a pandemic has cast a maelstrom...

HORT 105 students slice peppers to be fermented in order to make hot sauce in the Agricultural Engineering Science Building on Nov. 8, 2019.

Your engineering major doesn’t have to mean end of your other interests

By Rohit Jammu, Assistant Features Editor August 5, 2020

Being an international student in engineering can be quite overwhelming. You have a formidable amount of coursework due every week, classes are notoriously difficult and every time you meet someone at...

Load More Stories