Live your life in BOLD, go out of your comfort zone to make friends

By Gwyn Skiles, Features Editor July 15, 2021

My first week of college was tough with a capital ‘T’.  I met nobody. I didn’t have a roommate to talk to throughout the day, half of my neighbors decided not to come to campus and all social...

A College of Liberal Arts & Sciences decal is pasted onto the door of their main office Nov. 14, 2018. University students shouldnt rule out liberal arts if they are interested in pursuing it in the future.

Embrace a liberal arts mindset

By Matt Troher, Investigative News & Longform Editor July 15, 2021

Like many middling high school students hailing from the Chicago suburbs, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign wasn’t so much a place you went as much of a place you ended up. That is, unless...

Activities on campus to experience, enjoy alone

By Aidan Finn, Staff Writer July 15, 2021

Being alone in college has always had a nasty stigma to it. Being alone period has been subjected to societal assumptions of being depressed, upset or introverted. It is a shame such persists as the reality...

Readjust to in-person learning, campus life

By Mona Alrazzaq, Assistant News Editor July 15, 2021

Adjusting back to an in-person world, after being used to a virtual one, can be overwhelming. Whether you are excited or reluctant to experience mostly in-person learning again, here are a few tips to...

Alma Mater stands tall at the corner of Wright and Green streets dressed in a commencement robe. University students remind each other that making mistakes is part of your educational journey.

DI Voices | Embrace failure, trials, tribulations in education

By Dennis Austin, Senior Columnist July 15, 2021

On a bitterly cold evening in Palos Hills at Moraine Valley Community College, I sat for my final two GED exams.  After the exams concluded, I sat in the lobby area constantly refreshing my phone,...

Foellinger Auditorium sits on the south side of the Main Quad the morning of June 26. New students should explore what Urbana-Champaign has to offer during their time on campus.

Explore CU during your time on campus

By Rohit Jammu, Assistant Features Editors July 15, 2021

After over a year of experiencing online schooling surrounded by four walls, coming in to the 1700 acres of the University  campus can be an exciting or even overwhelming feeling. I spent quite a large...

Know your rights as a UI student parent

Know your rights as a UI student parent

By Carolina Garibay, buzz editor July 15, 2021

When thinking about the “traditional college student,” an 18 to 21-year-old, recent high school graduate might first come to mind. But within the past several years, statistics have shown that description...

Spring 2021 Illinois Music Education graduates Brendon Culloton, Marcus Moone, Katie Mitchell, Emmett OBrien, and Ollie (dog) enjoy quality time on the Main Quad the morning of June 26. Columnist Samuel Rahman argues that students should use the governing rule of improv comedy “Yes, and…” to branch out on campus.

Opinion | Cautiously “Yes, and…” your first year

By Samuel Rahman, Assistant Opinions Editor July 15, 2021

Adolescence and young adulthood is a wild time. The federal government says we are adults, the state government says some of us can buy drugs and our brains don’t finish developing until the age of 25....

The Illini Union and Main Quad lie empty on June 26. Embracing everything that college has to offer will prepare you for a better college transition.

Do not be afraid of transition to college!

By Royal Shrestha, Staff Writer July 15, 2021

Fall is just around the corner and with the past year and a half being virtual learning, it can be tough for many high school students to adjust to a college lifestyle. Luckily for me, I was able to live...

A student waits outside of Hopkins Hall with her family on Aug. 22, 2019 for move in day. College freshmen should utilize advice from current students before starting college in the fall.

Things I wish I knew: Follow this advice for freshman year

By Vivian La, Assistant Daytime News Editor July 15, 2021

Starting a new chapter of your life can be daunting, anxiety-inducing and generally terrifying. It’s not going to be easy and doing it during a period of global change can add to the stress. But take...

The new Demirjian Park stands at 606 St Marys Road in Champaign April 24. Illinois athletic facilities spark a winning culture on campus.

Athletics facilities allow Illinois to establish winning culture on campus

By Jackson Janes, Sports Editor July 15, 2021

When I first arrived on campus as a freshman in the fall of 2019, I was unsure of many things: I didn’t know how to find my way around, I knew only a few other people who were in the same college as...

Bikes rest on a rack outside of the Campus Recreation Bike Center on April 2. Always register your bike online in case it gets stolen.

Three tips I learned from getting my stolen bike back

By Amrita Bhattacharyya, Interim Editor-in-Chief July 15, 2021

This summer, my bike was stolen from campus. Left outside of my apartment in the bike rack, someone had cut my cable lock and taken the bike.  I was devastated, to say the least. Countless “if only”...

Load More Stories