Take your grades seriously

By Kelly Johnson, Editor-in-Chief

July 17, 2019

You’ve heard this since probably middle school: College is hard. While there are a few exceptions that come along with this, like most college professors won’t actually call you out for being on your phone and you actually don’t get a lot of homework, for the most part it’s true. College is a ...

Finding your place can take time

By Katie Powers, buzz editor

July 17, 2019

This August, new undergraduates will have the option to pursue over 150 different programs of study at the University of Illinois. They’ll also have the chance to choose from over 1,800 registered student organizations and become part of a group of over 30,000 students. Those numbers are big and...

Game days are great days, even for non-fans

By Hannah Preston, Copy chief

July 17, 2019

If you aren't a huge sports fan — much like me when I first entered Memorial Stadium during Sights & Sounds my freshman year — you'll be quick to realize sporting events mean a lot to the people at the University of Illinois. While there may be much to be done in terms of winning with some...

Explore, use transportation to conquer campus size

By Cassidy Brandt, Assistant Design Editor

July 17, 2019

When I first arrived on campus my freshman year, the size of the campus was incredibly daunting. Even as a junior, I’m still finding new pockets on campus I had no idea existed. Here are some ideas to help you find your way around campus like a pro. Learn the bus routes You’ve probably heard...

Don’t be afraid to get those gains

Don’t be afraid to get those gains

By Melissa Niemiec, Assistant Special Sections Editor

July 17, 2018

I remember my first time in the weight room well. I had thought it a terrifying place, with the clank of metal ringing throughout the building and people sweating and gasping in pain as they labored. It was the gym and, in my mind, a place of torture. Everyone staring, waiting for you to mess up and ...

Professors and academic advisers are here to help you succeed

By Katie Powers, Assistant buzz Editor

July 17, 2018

At a school as large as the University, it’s far too easy for students to avoid making connections with their professors and academic advisers. Oftentimes, approaching these people can be intimidating and many students feel like they are better off going unnoticed. That connection might even seem unne...

How to maintain friendships from home while at college

By Andrea Flores, Longform Editor

July 17, 2018

In just a few weeks, you’ll be packing up your bags to start your life in Champaign. Before my freshman year began three years ago, I was so eager to get to school that I started packing about a month before move-in day. But, as excited as I was to start college, something major was missing from...

The best places to study according to your persona

By Camille Baer, Features Editor

July 17, 2018

So you think you can be a college student? Well, we know it can be quite daunting to get adjusted to the frenzy of fun, friends and studying. However, let’s make this clear—get great study habits now. And what better way than to find the perfect place to make your dreams of good grades and happy...

Where to get your art fix filled

Where to get your art fix filled

By Cindy Om, Design Editor

July 17, 2018

The entertainment and music scene in Champaign-Urbana is pretty great. Being surrounded by cornfields, you would not expect many artists or performers to come here. That is not true. I have seen big headliners and small artists. To name a few I have seen Lil Wayne, Post Malone, The 1975 and Louis the ...

Don’t let the party school reputation scare you

By Marissa Plescia, Assistant Features Editor

July 17, 2018

At a college with bars having an entrance age of 19 years old, and a total of 54 fraternities and 35 sororities, there’s bound to be a party school reputation. However, for those who don’t consider themselves to be huge partiers, or are a little unsure of the culture here, there’s no reason to be...

McKinley Health Center: Your one-stop health spot

By Elani Kaufman, buzz Editor

July 17, 2018

Going off to college and living on your own for the first time can be both exhilarating and intimidating. There's a lot happening all around you, seemingly at all times of the day. After a while, you'll probably get used to navigating campus and get the rhythm of your schedule down. When you get sick...

Now that you’re at UI, take time to branch out

By Tyler Panlilio, Opinions Editor

July 17, 2018

Coming from a graduating class of around 400 students — and about 60 of us attending the University — it was actually pretty odd how often I’d see a familiar face around campus. For some, it's just a quick wave because they happened to be in Macroeconomics with me senior year. And for others, ...

Next Page »