Use these tips, tricks when visiting UI dining halls

Students enter the PAR dining hall for a late night meal on May 1, 2018.

By Andrew Prozorovsky, Opinions Editor

August 19, 2020

College is the first time an incoming student will be completely responsible for his or herself, no longer under the supervision of his or her parents or guardians.  Many students, spending at least one year in University housing, naturally understand this means organizing his or her own diet. These ...

Pandemic creates challenges to navigating social life

A group of international students enjoys bubble tea on Oct. 19, 2019.

By Jared Ebanks, Assistant Features Editor

August 19, 2020

Home to a vibrant and social campus environment, the University offers numerous opportunities for students to immerse themselves in a true social college experience. While students are attracted to the number of bars and off-campus Greek life parties, this coming fall semester poses a number of chal...

UI’s declassified school explorer guide: Visit here before you graduate

Students walk across the Main Quad between class periods on Feb. 22, 2018.

By Meghan Lyons, Special Sections Editor

August 5, 2020

The first time I stepped foot onto campus, I was taken aback at the size of our school. I’ve stayed in the same hometown my whole life. To me, Champaign was a whole new world — one that was wildly different from my idle hometown. A curious freshman, I wanted to explore all around campus. Throughout m...

Organizations, resources to welcome incoming Black students

Students pose with their artwork after the Paint and Sip for the Culture event hosted during the 2019-2020 school year.

August 5, 2020

We all have spaces surrounded by peers that make us feel safe. We feel heard in these spaces and can share experiences with others who will relate to our stories the most. In a society where racial tensions are high, where the color of your skin determines how you’re perceived and treated, these sp...

Five spaces on campus provide popular study environments

Students study in the College of Law Library on Sept. 20, 2019. There a multitude of study spaces, libraries and more, available in every corner of campus.

By Jackson Janes, Assistant Sports Editor

August 5, 2020

The University offers tons of resources for studying, with over 20 libraries available to students. Here are my reviews for five of the most visited study spaces on campus. Most Overrated: Undergraduate Library Located directly south of Foellinger Auditorium on the Main Quad, the Undergraduate L...

Don’t be afraid to branch out

Don't be afraid to branch out

By Luis Velazquez, Assistant News Editor

August 5, 2020

Entering a new environment can be overwhelming for people ⁠— a new chapter filled with strangers and possible obstacles that will come up along the way. If you know a couple of people who will be attending the University, your nerves shouldn’t be sky-high compared to those who are coming alone. ...

UI campus offers delicious dining options

A student takes an egg roll from the Busey-Evans buffet on Oct. 27, 2019. The dining hall at Busey-Evans is one of the many options for eating delicious food on campus.

By Carson Gourdie, Assistant Sports Editor

August 5, 2020

Fall is just around the corner, which means one thing: a hard goodbye—puor maybe a welcomed one—to home-cooked meals. While not getting to have Mom or Dad’s homemade chili every Friday might take a week or two to adjust, the fact is, there are many delicious alternatives at the University.  ...

No one tells you about packing these items

An I-Guide helps a student moving into a dorm in the Ikenberry Commons move their things from a car to a cart on Aug. 22, 2013.

By Elizabeth Sayasane, Features Editor

August 5, 2020

Searching the internet for “college packing lists” will return thousands of similar results.  They include bed sheets, a laptop, phone chargers, a speaker, cleaning supplies, a first aid kit and several other essential items to survive in the dorm rooms. While these lists are a perfect place to st...

Live a zen lifestyle in college

A buddha statue stands on a table of Amara and Arts Yoga Studio located in Urbana on Jan. 22.

By Jillian Little, Buzz Editor

August 5, 2020

College is a different experience than most are accustomed to. It can be difficult balancing both classwork and finding a social belonging on top of dealing with generalized anxiety and depressive disorders, which a majority of college students are said to have. It doesn’t help that some of the mental health resources offered by universities don’t help as much as they shoul...

Bust common first-year college myths

Crowds gather on the main quad to enjoy the weather during Mom's Weekend on April 6, 2019.

By Heather Robinson, Assistant Daytime News Editor

August 5, 2020

From the moment most high school graduates walk the stage at commencement, they can’t wait to go to college. Most incoming freshmen have some sort of idea as to what college life looks like, whether flooded with parties every night or building lifelong connections with roommates. However, there are o...

Additional obstacles will hinder campus adjustment

Students and representatives for Registered Student Organizations mingle on Quad Day on Aug. 26, 2019.

By Andrew Prozorovsky, Opinions Editor

August 5, 2020

As a freshman — a small and naive tadpole in a large ocean — making choices on classes and extracurricular involvement is difficult enough during a normal year.  Now, a pandemic has cast a maelstrom of uncertainty and confusion upon the student body. Housing arrangements and study abroad plans hav...

Your engineering major doesn’t have to mean end of your other interests

HORT 105 students slice peppers to be fermented in order to make hot sauce in the Agricultural Engineering Science Building on Nov. 8, 2019.

By Rohit Jammu, Assistant Features Editor

August 5, 2020

Being an international student in engineering can be quite overwhelming. You have a formidable amount of coursework due every week, classes are notoriously difficult and every time you meet someone at a party and tell them your major, you’re greeted with “oof, that sounds rough, buddy,” and you...

Next Page »