Technology Services can debug all of your tech worries

Kevin Koo, sophomore in LAS, goes online on his laptop before his advertising lecture begins in Lincoln Hall. Laptops can help you learn if you use them right.

By Vivienne Henning, Assistant daytime editor

Throughout my first semester of freshman year I discovered that I was not as technology savvy as I originally thought. I continuously had problems with my laptop connecting to Wi-Fi, organizing my NetID accounts and generally navigating the technological side of being a college student in the midst of the Tech Age.

I’m not embarrassed to admit that I frequented the Technology Services Help Desk walk-in location – the Digital Computing Lab on Springfield Avenue – several times throughout the semester. The students and staff that worked there were always friendly, were easily able to find solutions to my tech woes and offered references and additional resources as well. Besides their in-person help, they also provide aid over the phone and email.

The Technology Services web page states that they “work with the campus to provide world-class, innovative, cost-effective technologies and services that help foster discoveries and innovations from our researchers, transform the teaching and learning experiences of faculty and students, and improve the efficiency and security of the university’s processes and data.”

There are definitely several services this team of techies can provide that students should take note of. First off, they’re there for you if you ever have issues with your NetID account. Services are offered to help incoming freshman claim their @illinois.edu email accounts, as well as set up password recovery information for safety precaution measures down the line.

Through your NetID account students can also have access to Google Apps @ Illinois which enables students to use a wide array of tools for academic functionality and organization.

Illinois Chat is also offered through Technology Services, enabling students and staff to communicate with one another over a secured network. Illinois Wiki is also exclusive to those with an University account, where people are able to work collaboratively and edit files and documents.

If there happens to be issues with connecting to the University’s network in general, they offer a walk through online how to connect and secure wireless for all of your devices. If there continues to be problems in a certain area with wireless connectivity, walk-up computing resources can install a network jack and provide you with an Ethernet cord.

Technology Services is also integral to classroom functionality as well. Throughout campus there are Integrated Teaching Systems (ITS) Classrooms that are supplied with modern technological teaching tools. Tech Services help keep these tools working, as well as provide the proper training for staff on how to use them correctly and smoothly.

There is also eText, a digital textbook platform, that plants documents, notes, and assignments in a digital textbook that professors and students can access from any device.

But outside of classroom tools and general wireless connections, if bigger issues arise Technology Services has your back, especially with the option of OnSite Consulting. A student technician can be hired to come to any on-campus location. With a standard service rate of $40/hour they can help with virus removal, system upgrades, networking assistance, hardware and software installation, and troubleshooting.

On top of all of that, Technology Services offers Training Services (FAST 3) to help anyone in the Champaign-Urbana community gain tech smarts and skills. Tech training opportunities can be accessed through online training or as a scheduled class with hands-on exercises from industry pros. They’ll help you gain a better grasp of all of the technology that surrounds us in our everyday lives.

Vivienne is a sophomore in LAS.