Seven songs for your Moms Weekend

By Harrison Lindholm, Staff Writer

Moms Weekend is a great time to show the woman who raised you the wonderful campus you are a part of. I have curated a playlist to help you mentally prepare yourself for a wonderful time with your mom. This playlist consists of songs about moms and for moms. It’s music many of our moms listened to during their younger years, and the music they certainly love nowadays.

Moms have done so much to help us become the people we are today. They deserve many songs of praise, and the following list names a few. Some of these songs personally make me think of my childhood, particularly about my mother. I hope that while reading through this list you might be reminded of some songs that make you think of your own mom. Hopefully reminiscing about your past experiences with your mom will bring up some good memories to talk about during Moms Weekend.

Hey Mama

Written and performed by the always interesting Kanye West, “Hey Mama” is the ultimate tribute to the strong woman who raised him. He raps off a few lines about the sacrifices his mother made for him during his youth. The pathos of Kanye’s song elicits warmth and affection. A close listening always makes me thankful for my mama, and will do the same for you.

House of Gold

Twenty One Pilots released this ode to moms in 2013. The strumming ukulele, coupled with Tyler Joseph’s voice and lyrics creates a warm, affectionate song. “House of Gold”  explains that Joseph will always have his mom on his mind and will always make her “queen of everything.”

Julia

“Julia” is a beautiful acoustic recording from The Beatles’ classic, self-titled album most commonly known as the “White Album.” John Lennon said his inspiration for this song was not just his mother, who the song is named after, but also his new lover at the time, Yoko Ono. Although it’s a little odd to listen to the song thinking solely of your mother, as some of the lyrics are directed and inspired by a romantic relationship, Lennon’s multi-tracked, echoey vocals,and poetic lyrics like, “half of what I say is meaningless, but I say it just to reach you, Julia,” will be sure to warm your heart.  His desire is that of yearning for love from the most important women in his life: his mother and his wife.

Gravity

When John Mayer’s album “Continuum” was released, it played on repeat over and over in my house. My mom was so in love with his music. Every night when dinner came around, Mr. Mayer could be heard on the little speaker by the kitchen. John Mayer’s great album is accessible to a broad spectrum of listeners. From “Waiting on the World to Change” to the selection for this playlist, “Gravity,” John Mayer’s laid back guitar playing is soothing to the ears.

I’m Yours

Jason Mraz’s smash hit single was heard over and over for years after it came out. Once John Mayer’s “Continuum” lost its appeal to my mother, the dinnertime anthem at my house became Mraz’s album “We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things.”

Your Mother Should Know

Yes, it’s another Beatles song, but this one is good too. “Your Mother Should Know” is a cute pop song with the often repeated line “let’s get up and dance to a song that was a hit before your mother was born.”

Dear Mama

This tribute song by the late Tupac Shakur is perhaps the most touching song on this list. Tupac deviates from his traditional new-age hip-hop music to deliver a deeply touching track that does so many things at once. Throughout this song’s smooth harmony of slow rap beats and heartfelt lyrics, Tupac acknowledges, apologizes to and thanks his mother for having put up with him as a young man. Even if you haven’t had quite as rough of an upbringing as Tupac, there is still a lot to relate to in this song.