Students across UI campus share words for Mom

By Yoav Margalit, Staff Writer

April 12, 2018

Filed under Moms Day Guide, Special Sections

Moms from all over are flocking to the University to see their kids. Before that happens, I wanted to ask a few students from across the campus what they would say to their mothers if they knew their words would be printed for their mothers to read. Here is what they said. Some replied in the spirit of Moms Weekend. ...

63rd Annual Flower Show to be a ‘work of art’

By Melissa Niemiec, Assistant Special Sections Editor

April 12, 2018

By Melissa Niemiec Assistant Special Sections Editor Instead of giving your mother flowers this Moms Weekend, how about giving her a whole garden experience? On Saturday, the Horticulture Club is hosting its 63rd Annual Moms Weekend Flower Show in the Stock Pavillion. The cost is free, but there are ...

A mom’s sacrifice

A mom’s sacrifice

By Ashley Rayan, Staff Writer

April 12, 2018

“I’m not that smart. But dad can help you," is something my mom said repeatedly throughout my childhood. With a lack of educational experience, she separated herself from me and my studies.  My mom doesn’t like to talk about her college experience much. From what I can piece together, she spent...

Traditional Moms Weekend may need change

By Chinmaya Sharma, Staff Writer

April 12, 2018

As the hype of spring break dies out, it’s time for the University’s very own Moms Weekend. With an influx of visitors coming to campus, it’s worthwhile to reflect on the significance of one of the University’s most cherished traditions. Much like Dads Weekend, Moms Weekend is a time for families t...

Students advocate for their ‘super moms’

By Molly Zupan, Special Sections Editor

April 12, 2018

By Molly Zupan Special Sections Editor The Daily Illini reached out and asked students about what they love most about their moms. A survey has been running on social media for the past few weeks, and we chose the most notable, heartwarming responses. Hubiba Ali, sophomore in LAS, Monica Mastaler...

Those tiny things you want to say to mom

By Yifan Gu, Staff Writer

April 12, 2018

Filed under Moms Day Guide, Special Sections, Uncategorized

When we are young, we are inevitably influenced by various ideas and always think we are correct. After we become mature, we always feel regretful for our past naughty behavior and naive ideas. It’s quite interesting to record them because these seemingly shaming events reflect our growth. I gave a f...

Exemplary women to be awarded

Exemplary women to be awarded

By Molly Zupan, Special Sections Editor

April 12, 2018

Every Moms Weekend, the University of Illinois Moms Association comes together to recognize the most notable, dedicated and loyal motherly figures across campus, but that honor begins with a nomination. Deadlines for nominations and applications have passed, but the information below will prepare you...

Moms Weekend 2018 schedule

April 12, 2018

Friday, April 13 Baseball: Illinois vs. Rutgers (“Freaky Friday” Themed) 6 p.m. Illinois Field All ages Get tickets online at fightingillini.com. Moms Weekend Kickoff 6 p.m. Illini Union Rec Room (Lower Level) Free, all ages Free bowling and billiards for everyone. Moms Weekend Show: “Muc...

Great places to wine and dine mom this weekend

By Bisher Martini, Contributing Writer

April 12, 2018

Your mother works tirelessly, and now, it’s time for you to give back. If your mom is coming to campus this weekend, now is the time to be her own personal tour guide. Take her out, show her off and spoil her with a good meal. C-U has such a grand variety of unique eateries. The area has plenty of ...

Saluting the awesome non-moms in our lives

By Yoav Margalit, Staff Writer

April 12, 2018

Moms Weekend is a celebration of Mom, but what makes a mother? Is she the woman who gave birth to us or the one who raised us? In deference to that question, here’s a shout-out to all the female members of the family who had a hand in raising us through thick and thin. To elaborate on the subject of non-mother fe...

Thank you, Mom, for everything that you do

By Julie Kang, Staff Writer

April 12, 2018

Dear Mom, I’ve started a new chapter in my life, and a lot is changing.  I’m becoming more independent, pushing myself to try new things, making new friends and learning what I am passionate about. I’m doing my own laundry and running to grab a coffee before my next class. I’m so busy, bu...

Moms Weekend: out-of-state student style

By Julie Kang, Staff Writer

April 12, 2018

Students from states other than Illinois often experience campus differently than those who are close to home. Traveling back home is less of an option, so special weekends, such as Moms Weekend, can be a highlight of the academic year.  Although some moms can make the journey to campus, others can...

Next Page »