Categorize your mother

By Yoav Margalit, Staff Writer

April 4, 2019

Filed under Moms Day Guide, Special Sections

I believe it was my mother who once said, “Stop making up quotes about me out of context; they don’t accomplish anything.” But do they really accomplish nothing? Nothing at all? After all, it’s through the words of others (made up though they might be) that we come to measure their character. So...

Your mom’s favorite drink says a lot

Your mom’s favorite drink says a lot

By Bella Keys, Contributing Writer

April 4, 2019

Filed under Moms Day Guide, Special Sections, Uncategorized

If one of your mom’s favorite pastimes is cracking open a cold beer, this means she’s one of the chillest moms around. More than likely, she’s always down for a night of sitting at the bar and relaxing or maybe casually sipping something while eating takeout. Whatever her jam is, it’s definitely ...

You can enjoy a mom-less Moms Weekend

You can enjoy a mom-less Moms Weekend

By Bella Keys, Contributing Writer

April 4, 2019

What happens if your mom isn’t coming for Moms Weekend? This isn’t the end of the world. In fact, for you it may be the beginning of a great weekend. There are plenty of other exceptional options available that are just as entertaining as having your mom there! Just because your mom isn’t going to be he...

Moms in media are superstars, superheroes

By Sonal Singh, Staff Writer

April 4, 2019

Moms and mother figures play a big role in shaping who we are as people. Some of our fondest memories tend to be with our mothers. Below are some notable moms from popular media. Molly Weasley in “Harry Potter” Molly Weasley may seem like she has a short temper, but do you really blame her for always be...

This otter be good: Moms versus otters

This otter be good: Moms versus otters

By Yoav Margalit, Staff Writer

April 4, 2019

Recently there has been a certain hotly-debated question on campus, specifically regarding the disposition of the “Alma Otter” as the symbol of the University. Unfortunately, all students on campus (including, I’m certain, those who shamefully cast their votes against the would-be mascot) were sadd...

Create your mom’s perfect Moms Weekend

Create your mom’s perfect Moms Weekend

By Aristides Theodoropoulos, Contributing Writer

April 4, 2019

Hi there! Is your mom coming into town for the party? What party you ask? The event that celebrates all things mom; the celebration of the year that is dedicated to the givers of life. Have you still not thought about what events you and your mom are going to be partaking in? Even if other family member...

The Daily Illini runs through two generations

By Ava Traverso, Special Sections Editor

April 4, 2019

With spring in full gear, it is more crucial than ever to take the time to give back to the ones who helped us bloom into the people we are today: our moms. For being our biggest supporters, advocates, friends and confidants, our moms deserve this weekend and so much more for all they do for us. A fac...

Students share favorite mom memories

Students share favorite mom memories

By Sonal Singh, Staff Writer

April 4, 2019

For most of us, our moms are our first friends, teachers and role models. To many, they are still all of these things and more. Our youngest memories revolve around them, and some of our fondest moments happened with them. To celebrate Moms Weekend this year, students reflected on some of the best times they...

Give a perfect present

Give a perfect present

April 4, 2019

With the coming of spring weather brings Moms Weekend. In the blink of an eye, Mother’s Day will be here before we know it. The problem that often arises during this time of year is finding that perfect gift for mom. Have no fear! Here is the list you need to help find that special gift, no matter w...

Appreciate mom this weekend

Appreciate mom this weekend

By Natalie Stanowski, Assistant Special Sections editor

April 4, 2019

With only a month left of classes, it is finally time for Moms Weekend. While most of us probably saw our moms over spring break, it is still nice to see them after the stressful midterm season. Our moms have always been there for us. Whether it’s acting as a shoulder to cry on or cheering us on at concer...

Moms support, guide, influence who we are

By Natalie Stanowski, Assistant Special Sections Editor

April 4, 2019

As the name implies, Moms Weekend is all about celebrating the moms and mother figures in our lives. It is an event the whole campus celebrates. However, the act of taking time to appreciate mothers can be more personally significant than the formal events on campus might imply. While I’m sure most...

Etymology of ‘mother’ is complicated

Etymology of ‘mother’ is complicated

By Yoav Margalit, Staff Writer

April 4, 2019

Where does the word “mother” come from? What does it mean? If, for some reason, you find yourself asking these questions, read on (and, as an aside, you might need to seek some professional help). For the wannabe linguistics geeks in the audience, this one is for you. Let’s a-fix ourselves to be ...

Next Page »