Categorize your mother

By Yoav Margalit, Staff Writer April 4, 2019

I believe it was my mother who once said, “Stop making up quotes about me out of context; they don’t accomplish anything.” But do they really accomplish nothing? Nothing at all? After all, it’s...

Your mom's favorite drink says a lot

Your mom’s favorite drink says a lot

By Bella Keys, Contributing Writer April 4, 2019

If one of your mom’s favorite pastimes is cracking open a cold beer, this means she’s one of the chillest moms around. More than likely, she’s always down for a night of sitting at the bar and relaxing...

You can enjoy a mom-less Moms Weekend

You can enjoy a mom-less Moms Weekend

What happens if your mom isn’t coming for Moms Weekend? This isn’t the end of the world. In fact, for you it may be the beginning of a great weekend. There are plenty of other exceptional options available...

Moms in media are superstars, superheroes

By Sonal Singh, Staff Writer April 4, 2019

Moms and mother figures play a big role in shaping who we are as people. Some of our fondest memories tend to be with our mothers. Below are some notable moms from popular media. Molly Weasley in “Harry...

This otter be good: Moms versus otters

This otter be good: Moms versus otters

Recently there has been a certain hotly-debated question on campus, specifically regarding the disposition of the “Alma Otter” as the symbol of the University. Unfortunately, all students on campus...

Create your mom’s perfect Moms Weekend

Create your mom’s perfect Moms Weekend

By Aristides Theodoropoulos, Contributing Writer April 4, 2019

Hi there! Is your mom coming into town for the party? What party you ask? The event that celebrates all things mom; the celebration of the year that is dedicated to the givers of life. Have you still...

Ava Traverso and her mother visit the American Girl Doll store in downtown Chicago in 2002. This is among one of the earliest memories she has with her mother.

The Daily Illini runs through two generations

By Ava Traverso, Special Sections Editor April 4, 2019

With spring in full gear, it is more crucial than ever to take the time to give back to the ones who helped us bloom into the people we are today: our moms. For being our biggest supporters, advocates,...

Students share favorite mom memories

Students share favorite mom memories

For most of us, our moms are our first friends, teachers and role models. To many, they are still all of these things and more. Our youngest memories revolve around them, and some of our fondest moments...

Give a perfect present

Give a perfect present

With the coming of spring weather brings Moms Weekend. In the blink of an eye, Mother’s Day will be here before we know it. The problem that often arises during this time of year is finding that perfect...

Appreciate mom this weekend

Appreciate mom this weekend

By Natalie Stanowski, Assistant Special Sections editor April 4, 2019

With only a month left of classes, it is finally time for Moms Weekend. While most of us probably saw our moms over spring break, it is still nice to see them after the stressful midterm season. Our moms...

Natalie and her mom, Dorota smile and pose for a photo.

Moms support, guide, influence who we are

By Natalie Stanowski, Assistant Special Sections Editor April 4, 2019

As the name implies, Moms Weekend is all about celebrating the moms and mother figures in our lives. It is an event the whole campus celebrates. However, the act of taking time to appreciate mothers can...

Etymology of ‘mother’ is complicated

Etymology of ‘mother’ is complicated

Where does the word “mother” come from? What does it mean? If, for some reason, you find yourself asking these questions, read on (and, as an aside, you might need to seek some professional help)....

Load More Stories