Staying on campus during breaks is underrated

Students walk down Daniel Street in Champaign on June 14, 2018. While campus may seem empty during breaks, there is still a lively culture in Champaign-Urbana over the summer with lots to do and see.

By Hannah Preston

The University of Illinois features a huge population of students from around the world. It is a set of some really diverse people. This, of course, unfortunately means some students have to stay on campus for the fall, winter, spring and summer breaks when many students have gone home for break.

While the vast majority of students may be gone, that does not mean that the campus is dead. 

There is always plenty to do in Champaign-Urbana, you just have to look around.

Before break lets out, ask around and see who will stay on campus for the break. Now, you may think all you have to do is ask your friends, but think about who you interact with every day. Of course, you should ask your friends if they are staying on campus, but ask others as well, such as your coworkers at your job or members of your club team or RSO. If there are friends or colleagues staying on campus, do not feel shy to ask if they would like to hang out. Many times, it all it takes is the initiative to get the ball rolling.

If for whatever reason no one you know personally is staying on campus, use social media to find people who are. The University is lucky to have a very active subreddit, filled with many people stuck on campus looking to pass time as well. Many times, Reddit users will create GroupMe group chats so people can plan events and get to meet one another. 

So, you’ve got people to hang out with, but what are you to do?

If you are looking to stay within University limits, why not check out some of the buildings on campus. For example, if you are not an Engineering student, chances are you are not regularly on the North Quad. Why not take the time to explore it and see what it has to offer? You never know, you may find your favorite study spot. 

If buildings don’t interest you, perhaps nature does. The Japan House offers a breathtaking view of a beautiful lake filled with koi fish, along with small nature walk trail. Beside the Japan House is the Idea Garden, another aesthetically pleasing location close to campus. 

Getting off the University campus, you can still head out to Green Street and take part in the night life. Remember, the businesses are open year-round, and they will be pleased to serve you.

If you are able to keep a car on campus, consider checking out downtown Champaign and downtown Urbana. There are plenty of restaurants to try at both locations, and it is always nice to get to get to experience what life is like to those outside of the University. Going even further off campus, you can check out the towns in the outskirts of C-U like Savoy. 

Finally, for many people, including myself, nothing beats a drive in the countryside, literally. 

You’re surrounded by nothing but corn! Enjoy the empty roads! Consider driving during a sunset. It will make for a nostalgic experience. Just make sure to have a charged phone with a GPS, just in case!

They say New York is the city that never sleeps, but I disagree. I believe any city, including C-U, can become a city that never sleeps. It just depends on what you make of it and do with what you have.