Avoid Veoride disasters with these tips

A Veoride bicycle is parked on a sidewalk in Champaign. The rentable bicycles lie all around campus and can promote hazardous situations if improperly parked.

By Kyra Sadovi, Assistant opinions editor

August 20, 2019

Anyone who has stepped foot in Champaign-Urbana in the past two years has inevitably seen them. The jokesters on the University Facebook page have raucously abused them. And nearly everyone in the vicinity of the University seems to have a very strong opinion about them.  Yes, it is clear Veorides have truly taken the ...

What ‘I’m from Chicago’ really means

The Chicago skyline is probably one of the first things both people who are and aren't from Chicago think of when they hear the city mentioned. However, when someone on campus states they are from Chicago, this may mean a few different things.

By Brendan McGovern, Assistant copy chief

August 20, 2019

As the state’s flagship college, the University of Illinois holds a large in-state student population. In fact, 78.3% of new students entering the Fall 2018 semester were in-staters, residing from any city located within the state of Illinois. This being said, the chances of running into an in-state...

Experience American culture while in CU

Tailgaters explore before the Dads Weekend football game on Nov. 3. Attending a football game is an easy and fun way to embrace American culture.

By Rachel King, Assistant Copy Chief

August 20, 2019

Whether it be for one semester or four years, traveling to a foreign country for school is an experience unlike any other. It presents you with the opportunity to try activities you never would have even considered in your home country. However, often it is difficult to stay out of the tourist traps...

Stock up on groceries in college

Snacks line shelves in County Market in Champaign. Students without transportation may have a difficult time regularly shopping for groceries, so on-campus options are available.

By Natalie Stanowski, Assistant special sections editor

August 20, 2019

If you are moving onto campus for the long-term, the first thing you will need to do will be to find the best places to buy any essentials you’re lacking or couldn’t bring with. To save yourself the trouble of looking around aimlessly for the things you need, here are a few of the best ways to get...

Festivals introduce Midwestern culture

Students fill the Main Quad on Aug. 26, 2018. Quad Day is an exclusive opportunity to get an idea of the kinds of RSOs are on campus.

By Ava Traverso, Special sections Editor

August 20, 2019

As a person who has lived in the Midwest for the past 20 years, I have grown to love the culture and the people of the region. From the corn obsession to the widespread hospitality, there can be so much to love about living here. I find Midwestern people possess a certain attitude, something hard to...

Dine like an American using these tricks

Customers dine at Black Dog Smoke & Ale House in Urbana on April 30. C-U offers many restaurant options that accommodate any specification.

By Lucas Oswald, Opinions Editor

August 20, 2019

Being away from home can be distressing for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which is having the distinct discomfort of not recognizing any of your food choices. But, international students, have no fear — eating like an American doesn’t necessarily mean giving up food from your native country....

Find contentment in communal places

SPAN 308: Spanish in the United States is held in the Foreign Languages Building on April 16. Chatting with others in your classrooms is a great way to meet good study buddies — and friends.

August 20, 2019

No matter where you’re from or how close the comfort of your hometown friends and the nostalgic warmth of your family’s secret recipes is, homesickness and loneliness are bound to visit all college students in one way or another. As an uneasy freshman, I could take a three-hour bus ride back home...

Staying on campus during breaks is underrated

Students walk down Daniel Street in Champaign on June 14, 2018. While campus may seem empty during breaks, there is still a lively culture in Champaign-Urbana over the summer with lots to do and see.

August 20, 2019

The University of Illinois features a huge population of students from around the world. It is a set of some really diverse people. This, of course, unfortunately means some students have to stay on campus for the fall, winter, spring and summer breaks when many students have gone home for break. While...

Don’t underestimate value in University libraries

The Main Library's Main Stacks has ten levels of books and resources available to students. The University library system offers a multitude of resources for students.

By Hannah Preston, Copy chief

August 20, 2019

While many of the attractions when you arrive on campus come in the form of a place, activity or food, one underestimated asset to your student tool belt is you have access to University libraries — wait, don’t stop reading. I promise there’s more than dusty old books in those old buildings that...

It’s OK to feel homesick as a college student

La Casa Cultural Latina, Native American House, Asian American Cultural Center and Bruce D. Nesbitt African American Cultural Center line Nevada Street in Urbana. La Casa is one of the cultural houses hosting the Lunch on Us program.

By Katie Powers, buzz editor

August 20, 2019

For plenty of students, the beginning of their first semester at Illinois can come with a challenging transition that includes a desire to return home. If you find yourself with this familiar pang in your stomach or a lump in your throat during the first weeks of the semester, remember you aren’t alone....

Find your home away from home in others

Students defend the democratic party during the University of Illinois Student Government Debate at the Courtyard Cafe on Oct. 2. A debate RSO is just one of many options for students to choose from when trying to find a home on campus.

By Samantha Boyle, News Editor

August 20, 2019

Whether it’s an academic club, social club, Greek life or sports, it’s an important part of college to find something for you that’s a home away from home (especially if home is an ocean or two away). Going to college is a good time to try to figure out what “home” means to you because for...

Prepare for Illinois winters the right way

Snow covers the ground in front of the Siebel Center for Computer Science on Feb. 2. Winter months in Illinois can feel extra long if you aren't prepared for the cold weather.

By Jillian Little, Assistant buzz editor

August 20, 2019

Right now, Illinois is burning up. People are trying to beat the heat by jumping into Lake Michigan, getting tons of slushies and blasting the AC. Some of us might be suffering in this heat, but don’t let that fool you. Underestimating the severity of our winters is a big mistake. There are going to...

Next Page »