Avoid Veoride disasters with these tips

Avoid Veoride disasters with these tips

By Kyra Sadovi, Assistant opinions editor

August 20, 2019

Anyone who has stepped foot in Champaign-Urbana in the past two years has inevitably seen them. The jokesters on the University Facebook page have raucously abused them. And nearly everyone in the vicinity of the University seems to have a very strong opinion about them.  Yes, it is clear Veorides have truly taken the ...

What ‘I’m from Chicago’ really means

What ‘I’m from Chicago’ really means

By Brendan McGovern, Assistant copy chief

August 20, 2019

As the state’s flagship college, the University of Illinois holds a large in-state student population. In fact, 78.3% of new students entering the Fall 2018 semester were in-staters, residing from any city located within the state of Illinois. This being said, the chances of running into an in-state...

Experience American culture while in CU

Experience American culture while in CU

By Rachel King, Assistant Copy Chief

August 20, 2019

Whether it be for one semester or four years, traveling to a foreign country for school is an experience unlike any other. It presents you with the opportunity to try activities you never would have even considered in your home country. However, often it is difficult to stay out of the tourist traps...

Stock up on groceries in college

Stock up on groceries in college

By Natalie Stanowski, Assistant special sections editor

August 20, 2019

If you are moving onto campus for the long-term, the first thing you will need to do will be to find the best places to buy any essentials you’re lacking or couldn’t bring with. To save yourself the trouble of looking around aimlessly for the things you need, here are a few of the best ways to get...

Festivals introduce Midwestern culture

Festivals introduce Midwestern culture

By Ava Traverso, Special sections Editor

August 20, 2019

As a person who has lived in the Midwest for the past 20 years, I have grown to love the culture and the people of the region. From the corn obsession to the widespread hospitality, there can be so much to love about living here. I find Midwestern people possess a certain attitude, something hard to...

Dine like an American using these tricks

By Lucas Oswald, Opinions Editor

August 20, 2019

Being away from home can be distressing for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which is having the distinct discomfort of not recognizing any of your food choices. But, international students, have no fear — eating like an American doesn’t necessarily mean giving up food from your native country....

Find contentment in communal places

Find contentment in communal places

August 20, 2019

No matter where you’re from or how close the comfort of your hometown friends and the nostalgic warmth of your family’s secret recipes is, homesickness and loneliness are bound to visit all college students in one way or another. As an uneasy freshman, I could take a three-hour bus ride back home...

Staying on campus during breaks is underrated

August 20, 2019

The University of Illinois features a huge population of students from around the world. It is a set of some really diverse people. This, of course, unfortunately means some students have to stay on campus for the fall, winter, spring and summer breaks when many students have gone home for break. While...

Don’t underestimate value in University libraries

By Hannah Preston, Copy chief

August 20, 2019

While many of the attractions when you arrive on campus come in the form of a place, activity or food, one underestimated asset to your student tool belt is you have access to University libraries — wait, don’t stop reading. I promise there’s more than dusty old books in those old buildings that...

It’s OK to feel homesick as a college student

By Katie Powers, buzz editor

August 20, 2019

For plenty of students, the beginning of their first semester at Illinois can come with a challenging transition that includes a desire to return home. If you find yourself with this familiar pang in your stomach or a lump in your throat during the first weeks of the semester, remember you aren’t alone....

Find your home away from home in others

Find your home away from home in others

By Samantha Boyle, News Editor

August 20, 2019

Whether it’s an academic club, social club, Greek life or sports, it’s an important part of college to find something for you that’s a home away from home (especially if home is an ocean or two away). Going to college is a good time to try to figure out what “home” means to you because for...

Prepare for Illinois winters the right way

By Jillian Little, Assistant buzz editor

August 20, 2019

Right now, Illinois is burning up. People are trying to beat the heat by jumping into Lake Michigan, getting tons of slushies and blasting the AC. Some of us might be suffering in this heat, but don’t let that fool you. Underestimating the severity of our winters is a big mistake. There are going to...

Next Page »