Use these resources when you’re overwhelmed, stressed

Kenyon Edmond

Students learn about different RSOs during Quad Day on Aug. 26, 2018.

By Samantha Boyle, Managing Editor for Reporting

Studying abroad can be really exciting as you’re gearing up for many new opportunities. At the same time, however, the experience can also be quite stressful and understandably so. While there are many ways to ease the stress and pressure you may feel after coming to a completely new country, like going for a walk or journaling, you may find you need more help adjusting than that. Fortunately, the University offers several resources you can and should utilize if you’re feeling overwhelmed.

Your academic or study abroad advisor
Your academic or study abroad advisors might be the first people you have contact with from the University. Their job is also to work with students, so why not let them help you if they can? If you’re feeling nervous about getting to campus, having a hard time in classes or anything in between, let your advisors know because they may have some valuable tips for you.

Counseling Center
It’s important to remember that it is normal and OK to feel overwhelmed, anxious or even sad during your study abroad experience. So much is happening, it’s completely understandable that you may feel differently from day-to-day. The University Counseling Center could be of service if you feel you need to just talk to a professional about how you are feeling and adjusting to this new experience. The Counseling Center has been conducting online appointments due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

GLOBE
GLOBE is a University program that connects international students with current students. Current domestic students can apply to become a blue member and incoming international students can apply to become orange members. Once accepted blue members contact orange members prior and during the semester. As an incoming student, a program like this can be extremely helpful if you are trying to navigate life on campus. Even before you reach campus, you’ll have another student available to ask questions to, and throughout the semester or year, you’ll be able to get to know each other even more.

Join an RSO
Sometimes the stress of studying abroad can stem from feeling alone or isolated. One of the easiest ways to find friends and people similar to you is by joining a registered student organization. The University has more than 1,600 RSOs and even with a lot of things being online only now, a lot of RSOs will accommodate and still meet virtually or in a different way. If none of the RSOs seem of interest to you, you also have the opportunity to create your own. Even then, you’re more easily able to find people with similar interests.

Be open with your professors
If you think your stress is getting the best of you and it may affect your schoolwork, it’s best to be open with your professors. This is something that may be easier said than done, but it’s best to just let your teachers know if you aren’t doing too well so that they can help you still get the most from the class. Most professors tend to be understanding and know how stressful it can be to come to a new place. Let them help you if they can.

Samantha is a senior in Media.