Attending games FAQ: Season tickets are essential for passionate Illini sports fans

Students+in+the+Orange+Krush+section+of+the+State+Farm+Center+lean+over+a+railing+to+high+five+Ayo+Dosunmu+after+Illinois+won+against+Iowa+March+8%2C+2020.+Attending+sporting+events+is+the+ideal+way+for+passionate+Illinois+fans+to+experience+campus.+

Cameron Krasucki

Students in the Orange Krush section of the State Farm Center lean over a railing to high five Ayo Dosunmu after Illinois won against Iowa March 8, 2020. Attending sporting events is the ideal way for passionate Illinois fans to experience campus.

By Jackson Janes, Sports Editor

2020 was an unprecedented year for everyone.

For student-athletes at Illinois, most competitions were held with little to no spectators, classes were conducted mostly virtually and COVID-19 protocols forced them to completely adjust and sacrifice their normal lifestyles and habits for the sake of playing the sports they love.

With easy access to a COVID-19 vaccine and as the state reopens after months of uncertainty, irregularity and change, fans returning to sports venues is one of the many aspects of life that signifies a return to normal. Let’s go through and answer some common questions about attending sports events at Illinois.

1. What are the different student sections called?

Illini Pride is the student sports fan organization on campus and includes three different sport-specific groups: Block I, which is the student football group; Orange Krush, which is the basketball student section; and Olympic, which includes subsections for all non-revenue sports.

Students can purchase student season tickets for revenue sports — football and men’s basketball — through Illini Pride, which are on sale now. Football season tickets are already available for purchase, and men’s basketball season tickets will be available no later than Sept. 1.

2. What are the benefits of getting season tickets rather than tickets to individual games?

One of the biggest benefits is the fact that you are guaranteed access to tickets to all home games. For the 2021 football season, for example, a game like Homecoming against Wisconsin will be high demand, meaning tickets will be hard to come by. If you have a student season ticket membership, you will be able to have priority access to tickets and do not have to worry about missing out.

Additionally, Illini Pride membership holders get priority access to student postseason tickets, T-shirts and apparel.

3. Are there certain places for students to sit at games?

Illinois home football games are played at Memorial Stadium, which is located directly south of the ARC and Ikenberry Quad. The student section is located in the north end zone, just behind the Marching Illini. Students who sit in this section can choose to participate in the halftime card stunts, though — pro tip — you should sit as close to the middle of the section as possible to increase the likelihood of involvement.

Men’s basketball home games are played at State Farm Center, which is located directly south of Memorial Stadium. The student section is located essentially courtside and features seats with the best views in the entire arena, though you must meet the requirements to be an Orange Krush member to get priority access to this section.

Students who have season tickets will still have access to tickets, though they will be scattered throughout the stadium if the student section fills up.

Tip: Arrive as early as possible to big games. The doors usually open 90 minutes before tipoff, but try to be there well before that if you want to sit in the student section.

4. I don’t care about sports. Why should I go to a game?

Sporting events allow you to hang out with friends while also meeting new people! The camaraderie of sitting and cheering with your fellow students is always a blast, and it’s something you need to do — regardless of your interest in sports —  several times before you graduate.

Watching games on TV also is fun, but being there and witnessing games in person is unbeatable.

@JacksonJanes3