Fall for these autumn-inspired foods on campus

By Rukayah Hussein, Staff Writer

Rarely does good food ever go out of season, but with fall approaching, our campus offers several specific fall food options for students to delve into this semester. Whether you are a passionate foodie or a part-time connoisseur, Champaign-Urbana has tons of sweet treats to satisfy whatever your autumnal cravings are. These fall-themed food selections may not technically always be good, at least according to some people, but they’re good for your soul. 

The first section of fall-inspired foods are not food per se, but fall-themed beverages. Yes, the infamous time of the year where everything and anything is pumpkin spice flavored. If you want a go-to drink for every day of the fall season, many would tell you to try the Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks. However, there is always room for a twist. The Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew at Starbucks is also a popular choice, topped with a delicious pumpkin-flavored whipped cream. Another go-to for the die-hard Dunkin’ fans (if you are not solely drinking the new Charli Cold Brew) is the Signature Pumpkin Spice latte. Either way, there is a Dunkin’ or Starbucks within easy access to all students on campus. For a local favorite, BrewLab Coffee offers a seasonal pumpkin pie latte, served hot or iced. It is a simple way to get your autumn coffee fix. 

Another realm of fall flavors in beverages includes a local obsession: bubble tea. With the many bubble tea joints around campus, it is no surprise that there are fall-themed flavor options for boba. For instance, at Latea, you can order caramel or hazelnut milk tea or even a salted caramel option year-round. Another fall-inspired flavor of milk tea is brown sugar, and Kung Fea Tea offers a seasonal hot drink flavored with brown sugar and ginger. They also offer a pumpkin oolong milk tea. Regardless, Teamoji, Kung Fu Tea and Latea are just some of the bubble tea places near campus that are here for us and our love of fall-themed drinks. 

Of course, you can’t have all those beverages without a fall-inspired meal. Paris Super Crepes, just off of Green Street on Sixth Street, is known for its sweet crepes and ice cream. It also has a bunch of savory options, including sweet potato fries. Sweet potatoes are a fall staple, and who can say no to fries? 

If you are looking for a light autumn lunch, look no further than Potbelly Sandwich Shop. Their menu is filled with incredible fall food options for when the weather begins to get colder. They have an excellent soup menu with selections like a bowl of classic tomato soup, chili and chicken pot pie. Pair your soups with one of their loaded sandwiches, such as roast beef and smoked ham. It’s like a Thanksgiving dinner to-go. 

One great place to go for your fall festivities and food is Curtis Apple Orchard and Pumpkin Patch. They have many delectable autumn snacks and drinks. Try their cinnamon-sugar apple crisp donuts, apple fritters and pumpkin bars. Wash the treats down with their apple cider, too! Make a whole fall-themed day of the trip by checking our their pumpkin patch and apple trees. They are open right now with COVID-19 safety precautions in place. Just don’t forget to wear a mask, and don’t forget to pick a pumpkin to carve for Halloween. 

Even though the state of the world is strange and uncertain, we can always find comfort in delicious food.