Best places to shop for your necessary supplies

By Berch Kamber, Design editor

Once you’ve moved into your dorm and the stressful move-in weekend has subsided, students new to the Champaign-Urbana area will often be stuck with a few questions: Where do I get deodorant when it runs out or a new notebook once it’s filled? Where can I get snacks when I’m tired of my dorm’s food? What about cough medicine when I’m sick?

If you’re a University Housing resident, you can use your cafe credits as currency at 57 North, a convenience store in the Ikenberry Commons. Frozen food, snacks and drinks are commonly bought there. Attached is also a grill where you can order sandwiches, pizza, burgers and other items using your cafe credits.

The most accessible drugstore near the heart of campus is Walgreen’s on Fifth and Green, while the nearest grocery store is County Market near Fourth and Springfield. These convenience stores usually have everything you’d need in a hurry, though there won’t be much variety in what you’re looking for.

If you have a car or have other means of transport, a cheaper and larger selection for all of your basic necessities can be found at various locations depending on what’s closest to you.

In Champaign, Walmart and Aldi tend to dominate the college student market with cheap, quick and large selections of necessities and conveniences. A popular German grocery store, Aldi is a great one-stop shop for inexpensive, generic brand food, produce and beverages.

Walmart, on the other hand, specializes in getting the highest possible discounts on all popular brands. This location is typically the most popular stop on move-in days, as parents and students raid the store’s school supplies and dorm essentials sections.

Other slightly upscale retailers include Target and Meijer, as well as Sam’s Club, a bulk purchase superstore that requires a paid membership. Target and Meijer are located on North Prospect Avenue, and Sam’s Club is on West Marketview Drive.

Options in Urbana are somewhat more limited, considering the town’s smaller population. However, though not widely known, Urbana still has its own Aldi and Walmart stores. Another great option that’s very close to the Urbana side of campus is Schnucks on Vine Street, a discounted general large grocery store just a few blocks from historic Urbana.

All the places mentioned above can provide you with necessary supplies, but individual taste separates them and most students have their favorites depending on location and variety. It is always best to check these retailers out for yourself so you can gauge which shopping atmosphere you like best.

Berch is a sophomore in Engineering.