Make your dorm room feel like a home

A dorm room sits in the Pennsylvania Avenue Residence Hall on Oct. 4, 2017. Residence halls at the University don’t start out comfortable; make a few adjustments to make your room yours.

By YooJin Son, Assistant News Editor

Moving away from home is never easy. Far from friends and family, facing a new environment in a new country can be overwhelming. But home should still feel like home, no matter the location. Here’s how to make your new living space in the U.S. feel a little more like home.

Bring something special from home

While is it difficult to bring everything you love from home overseas, it doesn’t hurt to bring a few items to make yourself feel at home. Having something familiar can help you adapt to a new space. Even if you might not notice these items when you first move in, they can help comfort you when home seems too far away. Whether that item is a stuffed animal or childhood blanket if you have space for it in your suitcase, why not bring it to your new home?

Build a photo wall with memories from home

Decorating your room with photos of your friends and family is a great way to make a new space feel closer to home. These photos can act as reminders of the amazing memories you made with your loved ones and that home is not so far away. These memories can be the start to even more fun, new memories you can create with friends in college! So get creative and start taking lots of photos to make your new space feel like home!

Make your bed comfortable

Your bed should be a place you feel most comfortable. Most dorms and apartments, however, don’t have the best mattresses to help you get a good night’s sleep. So make your bed feel comfortable, like home. Trust me, it is definitely worth investing in your bed. Add some pillows, a soft comforter and bedding of your choice. This will make you feel at home in no time!

Don’t forget to decorate

As an international student, I came to the U.S. with nothing but what I absolutely needed in two large suitcases. During my freshman year, my room was completely bare. The gray concrete walls definitely did not make me feel at home. My roommate, on the other hand, decorated almost every inch of her side of the room. I always thought buying items to decorate my room would be a waste of money and space, considering how much I would have to move in the next four years. After living my first year between gray concrete walls, however, if decorating makes me feel at home, a small box of random items is definitely worth the space and money. Hang up some lights and add some color to your neutral room! Though it may seem like a waste, decorating is one of the best things you can do to make your room feel like home.

Settling into a foreign space takes time, so don’t worry if you feel out of place because the truth is you’re not. With time, a comfortable living space and good people to surround yourself with, I am sure you will feel close to home in no time.