How college strengthened a mother-daughter bond

By Emma Palatnik, Staff Writer

My relationship with my mom has evolved over time. When I was in middle school we were very close, and I felt like I could come to her with anything. During high school we grew apart due to my ‘teenage rebellion.’ Now that I’m in college and no longer living at home our relationship has improved.

When I first came to school I called my mom nearly every day, sometimes even more than that. It was weird that I wasn’t living with her anymore, and I felt the need to hear her voice. I did go to sleepaway camp for a few summers, so it wasn’t the first time I was away from home. But, this situation was different. At summer camp, I had counselors to watch over me and act as my temporary mom. At college, I was all on my own.

As time went on, I stopped calling her every day. It became twice a week, and eventually once a week. Sometimes I got so busy that I forgot to call her. Now, I try to call her every Friday after my 9 a.m. class. I want her to feel like she is still an important part in my life, because she is.

I want my mom to know that she means the world to me. I don’t think I would be where I am and who I am without her. She is my rock and my support system. I know that I can call her with any problem that I have and she will listen. She won’t yell at me or be angry, no matter the circumstances. She just wants to know that I’m OK.

Although our relationship isn’t the same as it used to be, I think that it’s better. The time we spend apart has strengthened it, and we don’t fight as often as we did when I was in high school.

I will admit that I do miss her and my home. It’s weird not having an actual house to come home to. That’s something I definitely took for granted back in high school. There’s nothing wrong with where I live, but it’s strange to not live in a house with my family anymore. There aren’t any dogs that greet me when I open the door, and there’s no smell of a home-cooked meal.

College has been an amazing experience so far for me, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. My mom and I still miss each other, but that’s unavoidable. I know she’s happy that I’m here and making the memories that I am.