Exemplary women to be awarded

By Molly Zupan, Special Sections Editor

Every Moms Weekend, the University of Illinois Moms Association comes together to recognize the most notable, dedicated and loyal motherly figures across campus, but that honor begins with a nomination.

Deadlines for nominations and applications have passed, but the information below will prepare you for next year. In 2019, go the extra mile and show off the woman in your life who inspires you, cares for you and guides you the most.

What awards are given out?

The Moms Association offers the Amelia Alpiner Stern Mom of the Year award, the Humanitarian Service award, the Illini Spirit Award, the Medallion of Honor and the Moms Association Scholarship to students and nominated female figures.

These awards are presented to recipients during the Moms Association Annual Meeting on Saturday morning of Moms Weekend, which is April 13-15.

Where does the scholarship money come from?

The Moms Association raises funds to provide these awards in several ways, including partnering with the Dads Association in a 50/50 raffle. The winner of the raffle receives 50 percent of the net raffle ticket sales, while the rest of the money goes toward the scholarships. Ticket sales begin in the spring and continue until Dads Weekend in the fall.

The Moms Association also sells Illini-themed merchandise. The association’s table at the Illini Union Board’s Moms Day Craft Fair, which is held on Saturday of Moms Weekend, offers a wide variety of items carefully selected by its fundraising team, including T-shirts, scarves, ornaments and more.

What are the criteria for each award?

Each award recognizes an individual for their outstanding qualities and contributions and may include a monetary gift. Particular requirements are detailed below and can be found on the official U-I Moms Weekend website.

All students at the University are eligible to nominate a female figure for each award and apply for scholarships. Any motherly influence that positively impacts a University student’s life is automatically a member of the Moms Association; involvement is not required to apply or be nominated.

The Amelia Alpiner Stern Mom of the Year award recognizes the most noteworthy support, care and inspiration given by a mom or motherly figure. This award highlights the distinct and plentiful contributions of University mothers and maternal figures.

The Illini Spirit Award provides financial support to a woman who develops a particular program or project that benefits the safety, health, growth and achievement of the University student population. The recipient, who must submit a thorough proposal, receives $2,000 to fund her work.

The bronze Medallion of Honor acknowledges women who use their unique talents to enhance the lives of others. This award is specifically given to a woman affiliated with the University. This is an opportunity to highlight the contributions and success of a professor or student. A valid nomination must include the nominee’s biographical information and two supporting letters.

The Moms Association Scholarship of $1,000 is granted to a full-time undergraduate student who has completed at least 24 credit hours. Remarkable involvement, other honors or awards and impact on the University also determine the recipient. An application, essay, letter of recommendation from someone at the University and transcript(s) are necessary.

The Humanitarian Service award gifts a total of $1,000 to a student who has developed a creative and authentic way to enhance the local community. Half of that monetary amount goes directly to the student, while the other half goes to the organization selected by the recipient.

What about deadlines for applications?

Nomination deadlines are typically within the middle of February or early March. Check out the U-I Moms Association’s official website for more details about next year’s awards.

If you feel that a particular woman has had a positive impact on you, the University or others, take the time to nominate her. Let her know just how much you value and admire her and everything she does.

Molly is a sophomore in FAA.