Illinois tennis players see success at professional level

By Amber Greviskes

After a successful collegiate career at Illinois, tennis standout Brian Wilson is commanding attention at the professional level.

Wilson defeated Ryan Newport of the United States 7-5, 7-6 (2) to win the singles title at the United States Tennis Association Kenosha (Wisc.) Futures tournament on Aug. 15.

“To win his first professional event without dropping a set should springboard his professional career,” said Illinois head coach Craig Tiley.

Wilson did not compete in professional events immediately after the NCAA Championships. Instead, he traveled to China where he competed with the American Express Collegiate All-Star Team along with 9 other collegians. Once Wilson returned, he started his professional career with the St. Louis Aces, the World Team Tennis team that lists defending U.S. Open Champion Andy Roddick on its roster.

“Many great players go for years without gaining a victory of this magnitude and for Brian to get one only months into his career is amazing,” Tiley said.

Wilson said he hopes the success continues in the future.

“This is the kind of statement and confidence I needed to build as I go to the U.S. Open later this month,” Wilson said in a press release.

Wilson is one of several former Illini competing in the U.S. Open, the most prestigious tennis event held on American soil. Graydon Oliver, Amer Delic and Rajeev Ram will also compete in the event that begins with qualifying action Tuesday.

Despite the significance of the U.S. Open, the men will not be overwhelmed by the Grand Slam. Each of the men have appeared at the U.S. Open at least once before, which Tiley says is reflective of the strength of the Illinois tennis program.

Many of the current Illini are motivated by their former teammates’ success, said Illinois senior Chris Martin.

“It’s encouraging to see that their hard work paid off,” Martin said. “And it shows that it is possible for all of us to attain that success.”

Several Illini, including Martin, competed as amateurs in professional tournaments this summer.

Junior Ryler DeHeart, who Tiley said has the potential to be in the nation’s Top 10, advanced from the 128-man qualifying tournament at the Decatur Futures tournament to the round of 16. K.C. Corkery ended DeHeart’s tournament run beating him 6-2, 6-3. Martin lost to Matt Cloer in the round of 32.

“Those professional events introduce them to what it is like to play professionally,” said Tiley, who is pleased that several freshmen, including Ruben Gonzales, were able to compete in Futures events as well.

“All of the freshmen aspire to play professionally; they have a lot of work to do, which is why they are here,” Tiley said. “But (playing in the tournaments) gives them a taste of what it’s like.”

The freshman class will represent Illinois for the first time at the Napa Valley tournament in Napa Valley, Calif., in early September.

“It eases our anxiety about the season, knowing that the freshmen are more experienced,” said Martin, who expects the team will be able to contend for the Big Ten and NCAA titles this season, despite losing three seniors in May.

“The objectives don’t change each year,” Martin said. “The faces do.”