Defense key to soccer’s success

David Solana

David Solana

By Derek Barichello

The defensive backfield has been the heart and soul of the Illini soccer team all season, so much so that when the defenders have played well, it has sparked the Illini’s best offensive attack.

The Illini defense is lead by sophomore Sarah Brown, junior Kelly Campbell, juniors Natasha and Christen Karniski and freshman Mary Therese McDonnell.

What makes the defensive backfield unique for the Illini is its ability to become part of the offensive game plan.

“Our defense plays best when our backs become part of our scoring attack,” said Illinois head coach Janet Rayfield. “Like this weekend, Sarah was able to score two goals for us.”

Rayfield said the Illini are able to get their defenders involved in the scoring attack because of the team’s speed and athleticism at the position.

“When we possess the ball well, we are able to use our speed and get our defenders involved,” Rayfield said. “(Natasha and Christen Karniski and McDonnell) are very athletic and quick. With their speed, they are getting in the line as much as our forwards are, and they are creating scoring opportunities.”

The key to allowing the defenders the chance to become part of the scoring attack is possessing the ball, which all starts with the midfielders.

“If we possess the ball, our midfielders can switch the point of attack,” Campbell said. “Our outside backs can come forward and get into the offensive attack. We switch it from the right side to the left side and it gives us opportunities to score because of our quick defenders.”

It is important for the center to keep its shape and for the defense to remain composed when the ball swings to the other side of the field.

“It gives the offense comfort when the defense is composed,” Brown said. “Everybody trusts everyone else and knows someone is going to be there to help them out on the defensive end.”

Not only has the Illini backfield been able to spark the offense, but also it has helped All-American senior goalkeeper Leisha Alcia record seven shutouts this fall.

“There is no way we can lose if we do not allow a goal,” Campbell said. “Our main job is to shut the other team out.”

For the Illini to be successful game after game, they must continually communicate with each other to keep on the same page.

“From Leisha to the defensive backs, they have the best vision on the field,” Rayfield said. “They play facing the game, and they even have better vision than I have watching on the sidelines. It is their job to communicate what they see to the players that are on the field.”

Coming into this season, a big question for the Illini was how they were going to fill the void of their vocal leader Meghan Kolze, who graduated last season, but Campbell and Brown have fit in nicely.

“Both Kelly and Sarah, from a playing perspective, have done a nice job,” Rayfield said. “They are growing into the leadership role Meghan had. An example came in the Penn State game; Kelly Campbell owned that game. She was winning balls in the air like Meghan used to do. The way she played is the kind of leadership we hope to see from here on out.”

The Illini believe that if the defense plays well, the team will have success.

“Our defense has been the most important part of our team,” Campbell said. “They say offense wins games, but defense wins championship. When our defense plays well, we’ll win.”