Women’s tennis shows potential

By Derek Barichello

All season, women’s tennis head coach Sujay Lama has been talking about his team’s potential. After this weekend’s performance at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Regional Tournament, the rest of the region knows what he is talking about.

Although the Illini did not qualify any players for the national tournament, they had three players come very close.

Junior Brianna Knue and freshman Macall Harkins came the closest. Although they have only played together for two months, the pair surprised the tournament field of 64 by advancing to the tournament finals.

In the championship, the duo held a 3-1 lead against Cristelle Grier and Audra Cohen from Northwestern. The match swung when Knue and Harkins dropped the fifth game, after being up 40-15. With the momentum now in Northwestern’s favor, the tandem dropped the remaining sets and lost by a final score of 8-3.

“When they lost that fifth game, it seemed to open the door for Northwestern,” Lama said. “It was a good effort against a great team. It was an amazing accomplishment for them just to be playing on the final day against probably the top team in the country.”

On their way to the finals, the pair pulled off some upsets. On Sunday, they defeated No. 23 Megan Racette and Hillary Mintz of Iowa in the quarterfinals, 8-4. Then in the semifinals, they defeated 16th-ranked Lindsay Martin and Katie McGaffigan of Wisconsin, 8-3.

“When Brianna and Macall return (the ball) as well as they did in this tournament they can beat anyone,” Lama said. “It is hard to lob the ball over them, because they are both tall players. It is very encouraging to see them play this well, because it is a big confidence builder for them, not only in their doubles play but in singles too.”

Knue and Harkins were not the only Illini to shine over the weekend. Senior Cynthya Goulet defeated No. 57 Elizabeth Exon of Michigan on Sunday to advance to the quarterfinals round.

In the quarterfinal match, No. 110 Goulet lost to Grier from Northwestern, who is the top-ranked player in the nation.

“Cynthya went toe-to-toe with the top player in the country,” Lama said. “She got off to a slow start this season, but I think she is finally coming full circle. She showed this weekend that she has what it takes to be a top-20 player in the country. It was good to see Cynthya play well.”

Despite Knue and Harkins’ success in doubles, the other two doubles pairs were a disappointment. Goulet and sophomore Emily Wang, who are ranked No. 44, fell in their first match to Western Michigan’s Malena Remunse and Rattiya Hiranrat, 9-8(8). Goulet and Wang were unable to capitalize on any of the six match-point situations.

Also, Illini junior Pavlina Akritas and freshman Momei Qu dropped their first doubles match.

“I think the experience at that level of play, especially for Emily, who is only a sophomore, was a factor in that match,” Lama said. “I think they also came out after getting a bye a little complacent, thinking that it would be an easy match.”

Lama hopes this was a learning experience for what is projected to be the Illini’s top doubles team.

“They have to be ready to play every match at this level,” he said. “It was a disappointment, but hopefully it’s just a wake-up call.”

The success of Harkins and Knue, who have an 8-2 record this fall, will provide some competition for the No. 1 doubles spot.

“I hope that motivates (Goulet and Wang),” Lama said. “We now have potentially two ranked doubles teams in our lineup competing. This would be the first time since I’ve been here that we’ve had that situation – but it is a great thing to have.”

Along with Goulet’s success in singles, Wang and Qu were able to pick up victories for the Illini.

“All together this was a great tournament for us,” Lama said. “This is just the tip of the iceberg showing, there is so much more underneath, yet it will take some more time to put things together – with some more hard work and some more patience.”