Illini compete against world’s best in tourney

By Amber Greviskes

Champaign will become home to several of the world’s best tennis players this weekend when the ninth annual Northwestern Mutual/Wright Financial Group USTA Challenger begins Saturday.

The tournament has grown since 1995, attracting some of the nation’s best up-and-coming athletes. Bob and Mike Bryan, the world’s No.1 doubles team, once played in Champaign. James Blake and Mardy Fish have competed at the Atkins Tennis Center too.

“It’s kind of like a stopping point, again, to the next level to the professional tour,” Illinois head coach and tournament director Craig Tiley said.

It is also a place for Illinois athletes and alumni to make a name for themselves. Junior Ryler DeHeart and former Illini Brian Wilson received the local wild cards, chosen by Tiley, into the main draw of the tournament, which begins Monday. Former Illini All-Americans Amer Delic and Rajeev Ram will also compete in the main draw, based on their world ranking. Both men are currently in the top 300.

DeHeart earned his wild card by turning in one the most successful fall seasons by an Illinois tennis player in recent years – winning the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Midwest Regional singles and doubles titles as well as the national indoors singles title.

“This is really where I want my tennis to be right now,” DeHeart said. “It’s a great honor that Craig gave me one of his two wild cards. It shows that he’s really supporting me, and I’m going to try not to let him down.”

Although DeHeart secured a place in the main draw of the tournament, several other Illinois athletes will be able to compete in the qualifying rounds of the tournament that begin Saturday at 10 a.m. All of the men will benefit from being exposed to the tournament, Tiley said.

“It’s a great opportunity for us to practice against some of the best players in the world,” said Illinois senior Chris Martin. “Nine months out of the year, we get exposed to college tennis and we get complacent about college tennis, but most of us have professional aspirations, so this helps put things into perspective.”

The tournament also helps the men focus on the bigger picture said Illinois associate head coach Brad Dancer. The current members of the Illinois team will see first-hand how professional athletes train, focus and respond in match situations.

“It’s just reinforcement of all the principles that we talk about every single day,” Dancer said.

The tournament is also a chance for alumni and current athletes to catch up.

“There is a great sense of unity between all of us guys, both current and former Illini,” Martin said. “It’s always great to get together and see how they have developed and it’s certainly inspirational for us current guys too.”

Some of those former Illini, like Delic, Ram and Wilson, are already seasoned professionals. Others, like Illinois student assistant Michael Calkins, who plans to play doubles with Delic, his former partner, are excited about the chance to compete again. This is Calkins’ first tournament of the fall. Former Illini Phil Stolt will also compete. It will be his first competition since a severe bone-bruise to his wrist sidelined him in September.

“The challenger is always a fun weekend. You get guys that have already made it and some guys that are on their way to making it,” Calkins said. “It shows a lot for this program and how it develops players. More and more guys are having more and more success. In a couple years, we’ll have a lot of guys in the top 100 of the world.”