Former Illini split results in professional event

By Amber Greviskes

Former Illinois All-American Rajeev Ram entered the ninth annual Northwestern Mutual/Wright Financial Group USTA Challenger as a heavy favorite, but not in singles.

He advanced to the doubles finals of the tournament last year with Brian Baker. But it was his singles performance Monday night that made the evening memorable. Ram won his first-round match 6-3, 7-6 (5) over Matias Boeker of the United States.

“I didn’t feel like I played my best and he didn’t play his best; to be honest with you, I was a little bit lucky in that sense,” Ram said. “I was able to sink my teeth into the tournament a little bit.”

Ram’s former teammates were not as fortunate.

Michael Calkins and Amer Delic lost to Travis Rettenmaier and Adam Seri, both of the United States, during doubles Monday. Rettenmaier and Seri won 6-2, 6-3.

“We had a great opportunity, but we didn’t go out there and play as well as we’d like to,” Calkins said.

Monday marked the first time Calkins and Delic have played together since the 2003 NCAA finals. Delic said the men’s loss highlights the difference between competition at the collegiate level and the professional level.

“If it was college, we probably would have come back or maybe broken back,” Delic said. “The guys played better and won the big points and that is all it takes at this level.”

Calkins will have to bounce back from the loss quickly. He takes on Eric Taino today at approximately 1:30 p.m.

Taino has been a menace to the Illini in recent years. Last year during the tournament, he defeated both Delic and Ram in singles. Calkins, however, has had some time to gain momentum heading into the match. He won three qualifying matches this weekend to reach today’s main draw action.

“I needed (those matches) coming into this match because I didn’t play any matches coming into the tournament,” Calkins said.

Calkins has spent the fall working as the student assistant for the Illinois men’s tennis team. The challenger is the first tournament he has played this fall.

Delic will play Sweden’s Johan Brunstrom today at approximately 6 p.m.

“I’ve played a lot of tennis here during my three years. But at this tournament, I’ve never played well,” Delic said. “Hopefully, I can change that this year.”

Former Illinois All-American Brian Wilson will play Yordan Kanev of Bulgaria at approximately 4:30 p.m.

Current Illinois athlete Ryler DeHeart will play Justin Gimelstob of the United States today. His match is scheduled to follow Wilson’s contest. Gimelstob has also plagued the Illini of late. He defeated Delic in the finals of the Nashville Challenger on Sunday. Delic said he will try to help DeHeart prepare for the match as much as possible.

“(DeHeart is) supposed to talk to me tomorrow,” Delic said.

The final match tonight featuring current or former Illinois athletes will take place after DeHeart takes on Gimelstob. Baker and Ram face Todor Enev and Kanev, both of Bulgaria. Ram said that tonight’s match is important to gain momentum for next year’s doubles season. The men will also use their singles victories – Baker defeated Jose De Armas of Venzuela 6-3, 6-4 – to their advantage. They will have a day off from singles today and be able to refocus.

“It’s always good to get out there and get the first match under your belt. I hung in there pretty well, gutted out a few games and came out with a victory,” Baker said of his singles match. “Last year we let (the doubles title) slip away in the finals a little bit, but we’re hoping to have another good showing and maybe get the victory this week.”