Former Illini move on at pro tourney

Online Poster

Online Poster

By Amber Greviskes

Amer Delic broke the curse that has plagued him since his first match of the Northwestern Mutual/Wright Financial Group USTA Challenger.

On Tuesday night, Delic, a former Illinois All-American, won his first-round singles match over Johan Brunstrom.

“It was just good to get the ‘W,'” Delic said. “It wasn’t the prettiest, but I got the job done.”

Delic blamed his first loss on inexperience. The second year he was supposed to play, but had a broken hand. The third time, he lost in three sets and last year he said he drew a tough opponent and couldn’t win the match.

Delic was not the only former Illini who broke curses Tuesday night. Former All-American Brian Wilson also broke a curse – the curse of the wild card.

No Illinois athlete that has been given a wild card into the tournament had ever won his first-round match, but Wilson defeated Yordan Kanev 6-2, 7-5.

“I had good energy and came out strong,” Wilson said. “I want to keep it going into the next round.”

Illinois junior Ryler DeHeart will have to bounce back from his first-round singles loss before this afternoon.

DeHeart lost to Justin Gimelstob 6-1, 6-4. Gimelstob defeated Delic in the finals of the Nashville Challenger last week. Gimelstob won the 1996 Northwestern Mutual/Wright Financial Group USTA Challenger.

“It was a good opportunity, it feels like a somewhat wasted opportunity, but it was a great opportunity to play that kind of opponent,” DeHeart said.

However, DeHeart and GD Jones have been playing doubles well lately, winning the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Midwest Regional title.

The men will compete today at approximately 2 p.m. when they take on Florin Mergea and Janko Tipsarevic.

Former Illini Rajeev Ram will compete in singles today as well, after winning his first-round doubles match Tuesday night. Ram and Brian Baker defeated Kanev and Todor Enev.

“Hopefully, we can keep it going and get our singles matches under our belts and have enough left for doubles,” Baker said.

Both Baker and Ram will play today. Ram’s match is first, starting at approximately 4 p.m. against former NCAA singles champion and four-time All-American Paul Goldstein.

“Obviously, Goldie is going to be tough,” Ram said. “And I’ve got to be ready from the first point. I respect him, obviously for what he’s done, I think it would be a good win for me.”

Wilson will also compete in singles at approximately 4:30 p.m. against Cecil Mamiit. Wilson will then compete in doubles with Goldstein against Brandon Coupe and Jason Marshall. Between Wilson’s singles and doubles matches, Baker will take on Ramon Delgado.

Former Illini Graydon Oliver will team with Gimelstob to take on former Vanderbilt star Bobby Reynolds and Brian Vahaly. Oliver’s match starts after the conclusion of Delic’s 6 p.m. singles match against Todd Widom.

“I just have to end (the year) on a good note and that’s what I’m trying to do,” Delic said.