Illinois men’s tennis starts spring season in San Juan

Illinois freshman Andrew Eklov hits a return during the Wright Financial Group/Northwestern Mutual USTA Challenger at the Atkins Tennis Center DI File Photo

By Amber Greviskes

While most of campus celebrates the holidays, the Illinois men’s tennis team will be training in Puerto Rico.

Most people would go to Puerto Rico to swim or relax at the beach – the men will be facing fierce competition.

“It’s part of the sacrifice because you’ve got to start the spring season off right,” said Illinois freshman Brandon Davis. “You’ve got to be ready from the get-go.”

Illinois head coach Craig Tiley said he expects this training trip to be much different than in years past.

The trip is shorter and will be more intense. This plan, Tiley said, is specifically aimed at getting the younger members of the team, many of whom have never been to Puerto Rico before, ready for the dual-match season. During the fall, the Illini competed as individuals in various tournaments – they have yet to compete as a team.

California, Georgia and TCU will compete in the three-day event. Cal has seen the Illini before. The Golden Bears took on the Illini at the Napa Valley Invitational, the men’s first fall tournament.

“It’s going to be an interesting time to see where we’re at,” Tiley said. “We have to be ready. We can’t wait until that week to be ready.”

Illinois senior Chris Martin said the team has a lot of work to do before the season begins. The men are concentrating on improving their fitness through intense conditioning drills.

“It’s going to be a good time to mold our games and get ready for the first dual matches of the year,” Martin said.

For many of the men, the trip is one of the first times they have traveled together. During the fall, the men were rarely at the same tournaments. Martin said the trip will give the team members an opportunity to get to know each other better.

“To see everyone in a different sort of environment, you learn different things about them,” Martin said. “And you see different sides of them.”

Illinois junior Ryler DeHeart is one athlete who is planning on showing a different side of his personality on this trip. DeHeart said the trip will be a little different than in years past because “our team is a lot younger than before.”

After being ranked the No. 1 singles player in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association’s last Midwest Regional rankings of the fall, he is determined to show his leadership.

“We’re going to show these freshmen what it’s all about,” DeHeart said.

Illinois freshman Monte Tucker said he is looking forward to the experience, even though there may be drawbacks to ending his break early.

“I’m sure that some people will get on each other’s nerves,” Tucker said. “But for the most part, I’m sure we’re going to have a great time.”

Tucker said he knows the team will need to stay in shape over the holidays and the preseason training – although grueling – will be beneficial.

“I don’t really think of it as work,” Tucker said. “It’s more fun than staying at home – that’s for sure.”

The older members of the team are looking forward to the trip because it symbolizes the beginning of their new season.

“Once we come back to school and go to Puerto Rico we start to get back to the grind again,” DeHeart said. “And we get prepared for next season.”