UCLA up next for women

Tiffanie Guthrie (22) jumps on her way to the basket during the first half Saturday at the United Center. Guthrie shot 3 of 9 for 6 points in the 74-31 blowout victory. Online Poster

By Derek Barichello

Women’s basketball will find out a lot about itself in the games over winter break.

The Illini, who are currently 5-2, are scheduled to play host to No. 20 UCLA on Sunday and Central Michigan on Dec. 28. The Illini will travel to Normal to face Illinois State on December 21.

The Illini will start Big Ten play at Michigan on Dec. 30. Then the Illini come home to face Iowa on Jan. 2 before traveling to Northwestern Jan. 9 and Penn State Jan. 13. In the final game before break, the Illini are scheduled to play Wisconsin Jan. 16 at Assembly Hall.

The Illini believe the win against Pacific last Saturday in Chicago has gotten them back on track.

“This team thrives on confidence,” said assistant coach Marsha Frese. “In the win against Pacific, we showed teamwork. We were able to put together 26 assists and I think that got us back in the groove. We needed that, because after the loss to Bradley we were hungry and we really came out with something to prove.”

A win against UCLA at home this Sunday would be a great start to the stretch of games over winter break.

“Obviously, the team has been looking at this game,” Frese said. “This is a big week. UCLA comes here with a lot of confidence and they are playing well. We know, though, that this game is no different than the one against Louisiana Tech, so we are going to come here to play the same way we did against those guys.”

The Illini will be looking for some consistency and hope to string together a winning streak.

“Every game is huge,” Frese said. “Right now this team is learning how to be consistent, which will go a long way towards making it to the postseason. We are going to prepare for each team the same way we prepare for everyone else, because in the long run a win counts as a win and a loss counts as a loss.”