Tournament offers memorable experience for men’s tennis team

Tim Eggerding

Tim Eggerding

By Amber Greviskes

Mother Nature did not cooperate, but the Illinois men’s tennis team still benefited from its training trip and tournament in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Rain threatened the tournament from the onset, but the coaches from Georgia Tech, California, TCU and Illinois worked together to make sure all of the athletes were able to play as many matches as possible, Illinois associate head coach Brad Dancer said.

“Overall it was a really fantastic experience,” Dancer said.

One of the main focuses of the annual January trip is to foster team unity.

The men compete, train and live together during the week and go on various excursions.

“It makes us more like a family with all of the team building activities and helps us out in the long run,” said Illinois senior Evan Zeder.

This year, creating team unity was extremely important with a large freshman class and the arrival of Kevin Anderson.

Anderson, a 6-foot-5 freshman from South Africa, made his debut with the Illini last week. Despite being a little nervous about his first match as an Illini, Anderson said he was pleased he was able to get the job done.

“He was thrown right in there and did a great job adjusting,” said Illinois junior Ryler DeHeart. “We definitely expect him to continue to win a lot of matches.”

Anderson was the only Illini who made it through the tournament undefeated, winning his three singles and two doubles matches.

“It was a great start to the University,” said Anderson, who has not competed in a team environment for the last several years. “Everyone looks out for each other and I feel at home already.”

Junior Pramod Dabir, who teamed up with Anderson during doubles, also turned in an impressive singles performance, finishing 2-1. California’s Daniel Sebescen was the only one who could stop Dabir. Sebscen defeated Dabir 6-3, 2-6, 7-5.

Dancer said Dabir’s playing style had changed, especially since he was playing “without boundaries.”

Dabir attributes his success to an increase in self-confidence.

“At the end of last season, I wasn’t very confident, but over the break I made a big jump,” Dabir said.

Illini among nation’s elite

Two years after winning the NCAA team title, the Illinois men’s tennis team is still ranked among the nation’s best. Despite the departure of five All-Americans in the last two years, the Illini secured the No. 5 spot in the nation.

“It’s an honor when people project you to be a top team,” Illinois senior Chris Martin said. “But it’s just a number that voters put in front of your name. The only thing that really matters is how ready we are come the NCAA tournament in May.”

Last year’s champion Baylor was the top-ranked team. UCLA, Florida and Georgia were also ranked ahead of the Illini. However, Zeder feels that the depth of the team will be instrumental to whether their ranking will improve.

He also said the Illini’s proximity to Florida in the rankings will make the match against Florida at the Atkins Tennis Center on Feb. 12 more intense.

“We’re going to have to step up,” Zeder said. “But it’s just the start of the season.”

Missing in action

Illinois sophomore GD Jones was among three Illinois athletes who did not make the trip with the team to San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Jones won a wildcard into the Auckland Open while in New Zealand over break. The Auckland Open, held in Jones’ hometown, was the first ATP event – which is the highest level a tennis player can compete at – the sophomore has played in. Jones lost in the first round to Marino Zabaletta 6-0, 6-2.