DeHart no. 2

Tim Eggerding

Tim Eggerding

By Amber Greviskes

Men’s tennis has big shoes to fill this season after the graduation of three All-Americans last year.

Luckily for the team, junior Ryler DeHeart has stepped up to fill those shoes.

DeHeart, the Illini’s first Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) National Indoor champion, found himself among the best in the nation when the ITA released its preseason rankings.

“It’s hard knowing that everybody is going after you and they have nothing to lose,” DeHeart said.

DeHeart said he remembers when he was in a similar situation a few years ago.

Now, he said it will be necessary to focus on attacking all of his shots.

“I just have to play the same way that I always do – with the attitude that I have nothing to lose,” DeHeart said. “And not worry about what I’m ranked.”

DeHeart’s success is not unprecedented for an Illini. In 2003, former Illinois All-American Amer Delic began the season ranked No. 2. Throughout his collegiate career, DeHeart has had many of the same goals as Delic and is hoping to have similar success.

Delic won his first-round match at the U.S. Open in September. He was also the first current or former Illini to advance to the semifinals of the Northwestern Mutual/Wright Financial Group USTA Challenger in Champaign in November.

“Hopefully, one day, a couple of years from now, I’ll be doing the same thing,” DeHeart said. “It’s a step in the right direction for me.”

The Tampa, Fla., native’s success has not come without hard work. Throughout the summer, DeHeart trained and competed in several professional events as an amateur.

Illinois head coach Craig Tiley said that DeHeart’s high ranking, a huge jump from the No. 95 ranking he held in the fall, is a reflection of the national title he won in November. He is looking forward to watching how DeHeart will respond to having a target on his back.

“It’s a different kind of pressure (on him) now,” Tiley said. “Everyone’s going to want to beat him because it wil be a good win for them. It’s going to be a great experience for him, playing from a different role than before.”

Although DeHeart was the highest-ranked Illini, sophomore GD Jones checked in at the No. 42 spot. Jones was ranked No. 111 in the fall. Junior Pramod Dabir dropped in the rankings since the fall. He was No. 68 in the fall and is now No. 74.

Illlinois’ top doubles team was also ranked among the nation’s best. Jones and DeHeart will start the season at the No. 4 spot. They finished the fall season with an 11-3 record and the ITA Midwest Regional title.

Although many athletes might be ecstatic to be ranked so highly in the nation, Jones is more concerned with the team’s success.

“It’s cool but it really means absolutely nothing,” Jones said. “The preseason rankings are almost irrelevant.”

DeHeart has remained grounded, too – especially with the help of his teammates, who have not treated him any differently since winning the title. He said the success of the team is more important than his individual honors.

“I just have to keep scoring points for our team – that’s what it’s all about.”