Illini overcome slow start to win

By Amber Greviskes

The Illinois men’s tennis team faced a 1-0 deficit after doubles play Saturday, but went undefeated in singles to top

Ball 6-1.

“We started out slow and played tentatively during the doubles point,” said Illinois head coach Craig Tiley.

Tiley challenged his team at the break between doubles and singles to “step up and play at the next level,” said Illinois junior Pramod Dabir.

Dabir and freshman Kevin Anderson were the lone Illini to win their doubles match. The duo defeated the Cardinals Tony Epkey and Brad Rhodes 8-3.

Dabir attributes the tandem’s success to their preseason trip to Puerto Rico where Dabir and Anderson went undefeated in doubles. Dabir also said he and Anderson’s playing style are somewhat similar – they both attack every point.

Their attacking styles were evident in their singles performances as well. Both men won straight-set victories over their opponents. Anderson, the only freshman who competed in singles and doubles, defeated Paul Newman 6-0, 6-2. Dabir defeated Epkey 6-2, 6-0.

The rest of the Illini had similar results. Only junior Ryler DeHeart lost a set on the way to his 4-6, 6-1, 6-2 victory over Matt Baccarani.

However, Tiley is hopeful after the weekend. Freshmen Ruben Gonzales, Monte Tucker and Anderson played in their first dual match at the fast courts at the Muncie YMCA on Saturday.

“It was a new experience for them,” Tiley said. “They were away against a tough home crowd, but now they’ve had that experience and it was good for them.”

Tucker did not compete in doubles but won his singles match against Jan Polhamus 7-6 (6), 6-4. Gonzales joined senior Evan Zeder in doubles. Klint Knable and Newman defeated that Illini tandem 9-8 (6).

Gonzales said he feels that he will be more prepared for the Illini’s next dual match – their home-opener at the Atkins Tennis Center on Friday against No. 41 Florida State.

He now knows that instead of the laid-back atmosphere that surrounded the team on their trip to Puerto Rico, the athletes are more serious during the dual-match portion of the season. He said he also learned a lot about the importance of having his teammates’ support and supporting his teammates when playing with a boisterous away crowd in the background.

As well as the little details about traveling and playing with the Illinois team, Gonzales said he learned how to be more competitive at the collegiate level.

“There’s a big difference,” Gonzales said. “You just have to be loose when you’re playing and go after your shots. Next time, I don’t think I’ll be as nervous.”