Runners take first at Invite Classic

By Troy Murray

The men’s track team won the Carle/Health Invite Classic this weekend at the UI Armory. Wisconsin, Georgia and Syracuse – three of the top track programs in the country – competed in the meet, making it the Illini’s biggest test of the year.

Sophomore Zach Glavash set a UI school record in the 600-meter run, in 1 minute, 17.31 seconds. Bobby True, a 2000 U.S. Olympian, set the previous record in 1999.

“That was outstanding,” said Coach Wayne Angel. “(True) was one of the fastest half-milers in the history of Illinois. (Glavash) is a sophomore and he broke a record that was set by a senior that made the Olympic team. That’s truly outstanding.”

Glavash shared the same enthusiasm and excitement as Angel, but kept the accomplishment focused on the team.

“It was an incredible experience,” Glavash said. “With all the work we’ve put in and just the fact that it was Bobby True’s record, it just makes it all the more important. It shows that we’re on the way up.”

Sophomore Demi Omole of Wisconsin won the 60-meter dash in a UI Armory record time of 6.62 seconds, qualifying for NCAA Nationals in the process. Omole is the defending Big Ten champ in the event. Freshman Pierre Bush, who won the 60-meter dash last weekend, took fourth.

The Illini took first and second in the mile, with sophomore Jason Bill winning the event in a personal best time of 4:07.78, and Seth Pilkington finishing second with a time of 4:08.22.

Freshman Trent Hoerr surged ahead of Iowa senior Dan Haut in the last turn to win the 3000-meter run in a time of 8:20.77. Junior Eric Wallor took third in the race.

Junior Tramell Smith won the 1000-meter run in 2:24.54, just short of Marko Koers’ 10-year school record of 2:23.39.

The 4x400m relay of junior Adrian Walker, Smith, sophomore Nathan Vadeboncoeur and junior Abe Jones took first and provisionally qualified for nationals with a time of 3:11.72.

Jones won the 400-meter dash in a personal best time of 47.93, beating one of Georgia’s top sprinters, LaRon Bennett, who took third place with a time of 48.75. Bennett, an All-American last year, finished third in the SEC Championship, fourth in the NCAA Championship and competed in the 2004 Olympic trials.

“We had some great performances,” Angel said. “I’m very proud of all those guys.”

Next weekend, the Illini will travel to New York City to compete in the New Balance Invite.

Glavash hopes this weekend’s results are a sign as to how the team will do in upcoming meets, the Big Ten Championships and the NCAA Indoor Championships.

“We’re going to do better than last year with a better team and better competitors,” Glavash said. “Hopefully this momentum will just keep building.”